Cruise Lines, Hotels & Resorts
Tokyo, Japan, Japan
Director, Management, Supervisor
Job Role :
General Manager, Hotel Manager
Validate Through :
Salary Description: Competitive Salary Offered
Job Description For JAPAN - Japanese Speaking Hotel General Manager
Viking was founded in 1997 and provides destination-focused voyages on oceans, rivers and lakes around the world. Designed for experienced travelers with interests in science, history, culture and cuisine, Chairman Torstein Hagen often says Viking offers experiences for The Thinking Person®.
Viking has more than 250 awards to its name, including being rated #1 for Rivers, #1 for Oceans and #1 for Expeditions by Condé Nast Traveler and voted at the top of its categories by Travel + Leisure. No other cruise line has ever received these same honors by both publications at the same time.
- Part of our Hotel Administration team on our Ocean vessels, the Hotel General Manager manages the entire Hotel Operation, this includes coordinating and leading the Hotel Department Heads onboard.
- Set the standard among the team and ensure that all crew delivers service, in accordance with Viking’s STAR Service Standard.
- The Hotel General Manager reports to Director Hotel Operations.
WHAT YOU WILL DO ON BOARD
- Plan and oversee the entire Hotel operation on board the ship Entertainment/Shop’s/Concessionaire’s/Food and Beverage (F&B) events. Liaise between Deck and Engine departments.
- Plan, and manage cruise layouts together with respective Department Heads and ensure that execution is accurate and efficient, in line with Viking’s Star Service Standards.
- Oversee the management and control of sales of shore excursions, future cruises and tour dispatches. Verify revenue reports vs target.
- Ensure cost control and adhere to set budgets by overseeing the entire ship’s on-board finances. This includes but not limited to inventories, forecasts, purchase orders and the ship’s accounts.
- Demonstrate visible leadership and interact with guests and crew alike, in accordance with Viking’s STAR Service Standard.
- Work closely with Department Heads and purchasing to ensure that sufficient amounts of product and stock are available onboard at all times and ensure that produce and stock are in line with given targets and guest count.
- Provide competent leadership to all direct reports and support a multi-cultural team, maximizing crew satisfaction, productivity and retention; meet with Team Leaders on a daily basis for “The Daily Reunion”, to provide feedback and operational updates.
- Maintain ongoing communication with corporate partners.
WHY JOIN VIKING?
Elevate Your Career
Regardless of where you are on your career journey, Viking can help you in reaching new destinations with:
- Paid training program in skills and approach to premium hospitality services
- On-the-job coaching to help you advance rapidly
- A lifelong network of hospitality professionals from many different countries
- Internal transfer opportunities to River, Ocean and Expedition ships
On board our ship
- Lodging, meals, unlimited Wi-Fi, uniforms, and laundry are free of charge for all crew members
- Crew cabins with only 2 berths (you will have one roommate).
- Travel to/from the ship provided by Viking
- Crew-only deck, dedicated recreational spaces and activities
- Access to use the guest fitness center during certain hours
- Referral program
- Loyalty bonuses
- Tax-free salary
- A required minimum of 5 years’ experience as a Hotel General Manager with a strong focus on cost and revenue, as well as a hands-on approach to operations.
- Previous shipboard experience is a must.
- Must have had exposure to financial analysis and budgeting.
- Impeccable Japanese and English - must be able to address any kind of information in an exemplary manner with excellent oral and written Japanese and English communication skills – the ability to speak an additional language is an advantage.
- Must have hands-on experience in leading multi-cultural teams; flexible, stress resistant, committed team player, with a focus on employee relations and development.
- Strong administration skills are preferred and must be proficient with PC based databases, spread sheets, and word processing systems.
- Guest-focused, service-oriented, positive personality, professional appearance and impeccable hygiene standards are required, with excellent knowledge of all Public Health Policies, team builder with exceptional work ethic, motivational skills, and coaching abilities.