Job Description For Banquet Manager - Weddings & Socials
Fairmont Royal York
Banquet Manager - Weddings & Socials
Do you enjoy helping others and building emotional connections to make people feel special and welcomed? If so, then we want YOU to be part of our Fairmont Royal York family.
Every day you will be responsible for engaging with our guests, clients and colleagues. You will create the essential Toronto experience at the hotel that has been a Canadian icon for over 91 years. You will be given the responsibility to ensure that our guests and colleagues feel WELCOMED, CARED FOR and INCREDIBLE. Being part of the Fairmont Royal York family is more than providing warm and consistent service. As an ambassador of Fairmont Royal York, you will take the initiatives necessary to turn moments into memories by taking the time to understand our guests' purposes: why are they staying at Fairmont Royal York, what is their length of stay and what are their preferences and passions? Making our guests feel heard and cared for creates an emotional connection to our brand and builds loyalty.
These emotional connections are not just for guests. As part of the Fairmont Royal York family, you will be tasked with creating impactful relationships with your colleagues.
As a member of our leadership team, you will be responsible for creating the optimal employee experience for our colleagues to ensure they feel: valued, free, and engaged in their team. It will be your responsibility to not only lead others, but also yourself and the business.
If creating these lasting relationships and experiences excites you, read more about how your role supports our vision of continuing to create the essential Toronto experience!
What is in it for you:
What you will be doing:
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Extended Healthcare Plan Coverage
- Opportunity to develop your talent and grow within the Company and across the world!
- Ability to make a difference through our Corporate Social Responsibility activities, like Planet 21
- All Heartists Travel Program for stays at properties world-wide
Ensure successful planning, organization and co-ordination of weddings and social events within the Department. The Banquet Manager is present on the floor and is responsible for the coaching, counseling the staff while fostering a strong relationship with the client. This position will lead Weddings and other social events by liaising closely with the catering team, kitchen and event planners to ensure flawless events
Your experience and skills include:
- Liaise with planners/ conveners before, during & after all services to ensure expectations are exceeded
- Liaise with relevant vendors to ensure successful set up of event space
- Attend pre/post conference meetings as required
- Ensure the smooth daily operation of the events including servers, bartenders & porters
- Responsible for daily operations of events
- Coordinate the training & development of all banquet staff to ensure hotel standards are maintained
- Foster relationships with wedding planners to create lasting relationships
- Organize & coordinate function room set-ups and food and beverage services per BEOs
- Conduct frequent inspections of banquet facilities & equipment, reporting any deficiencies to maintenance
- Maintain and ensure that all function information is kept up to date with respect to all changes and/or revisions
- Ensure high level of departmental morale through coaching & communication and leading by example in forming strong relationships
- Take a constructive approach to achieving departmental goals with regards to the Planner scores, financial targets and health and safety & engagement
- Foster a positive approach towards Health and Safety with all staff and maintain a low frequency of accidents
- Work closely and communicate effectively with all coordinators of convention and catering events
- Follow up on any clients concerns that arise during a program
- Cooperate in all respects especially with reference to scheduling and the sharing of staff during busy periods
- Coordinate with the culinary team on the execution of meal service for all events
- Foster positive interdepartmental relationships within the hotel including with the culinary & catering team
- Other duties as assigned.
Physical Aspects of Position (included but not limited to):
- Minimum 3 years' experience as a Banquet Manager in a medium to large size luxury hotel required
- Experience in Social events, including weddings
- Strong computer skills in MS Word, E-mail, Excel
- A proven leader and committed to staff development
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal
- Post-secondary education in Hotel and Restaurant Management an asset
- Previous union experience an asset
Your team and working environment
- Intermittent sitting throughout shift
- Consistent walking throughout shift
- Occasional lifting and carrying up to 20 lbs
- Occasional kneeling, pushing, pulling, lifting
- Occasional ascending or descending ladders, stairs and ramps
- Ability to focus attention on guest needs, remaining calm and courteous at all times
For over 91 years, Fairmont Royal York has stood proudly as a Toronto landmark. When the hotel opened in 1929 it was the tallest building in the British Common Wealth and contained 1,048 rooms, a concert hall, library, extensive bakery, radio station and even a hospital. Today, this essential downtown landmark has completed a multi-million dollar transformation, reimagining its lobby, rooms, dining venues, event spaces, and Fairmont Gold - the property's exclusive hotel within a hotel luxury experience. Another stunning chapter for Fairmont Royal York has begun. To learn more, click here . Our commitment to Diversity & Inclusion:
We are an inclusive company and our ambition is to attract, recruit and promote diverse talent. Why work for Accor?
We are far more than a worldwide leader. We welcome you as you are and you can find a job and brand that matches your personality. We support you to grow and learn every day, making sure that work brings purpose to your life, so that during your journey with us, you can continue to explore Accor's limitless possibilities.
By joining Accor, every chapter of your story is yours to write and together we can imagine tomorrow's hospitality. Discover the life that awaits you at Accor, visit https://careers.accor.com/
Do what you love, care for the world, dare to challenge the status quo! #BELIMITLESS Note:
Must already be legally entitled to work in Canada to be considered for the position