Fairmont Royal York
Director of Housekeeping (18-month temporary contract)
Inspiring and engaging, as a Director of Housekeeping, you will show your leadership and interpersonal strengths to maximize the Rooms Operations, and ensure an exceptional guest journey.
Every day you will be responsible for engaging with our guests, clients and colleagues. You will create the essential Toronto experience at the hotel that has been a Canadian icon for over 91 years. You will be given the responsibility to ensure that our guests and colleagues feel WELCOMED, CARED FOR and INCREDIBLE. Being part of the Fairmont Royal York family is more than providing warm and consistent service. As an ambassador of Fairmont Royal York, you will take the initiatives necessary to turn moments into memories by taking the time to understand our guests' purposes: why are they staying at Fairmont Royal York, what is their length of stay and what are their preferences and passions?
Making our guests feel heard and cared for creates an emotional connection to our brand and builds loyalty.
These emotional connections are not just for guests. As part of the Fairmont Royal York family, you will be tasked with creating impactful relationships with your colleagues.
As a Professional Leader, you will lead yourself through: positive orientation, self-development self-management, problem solving and decision making. You will lead others through: leading and engaging with your team, developing others and communicating effectively. You will lead the business by: being guest-focused, forward-thinking and planning, business awareness and business improvement.
If creating these lasting relationships and experiences excites you, read more about how your role supports our vision of continuing to create the essential Toronto experience!
What is in it for you:
Specific Roles and Responsibilities that create the Essential Toronto Experience:
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Extended Healthcare Plan Coverage
- Opportunity to develop your talent and grow within the Company and across the world!
- Ability to make a difference through our Corporate Social Responsibility activities, like Planet 21
- All Heartists Travel Program for stays at properties world-wide
We are seeking an individual with a keen attention to detail and a passion for providing the highest levels of service. The Director of Housekeeping must be highly organized and have strong communication and motivational skills that will lead to superior levels of cleanliness in all guest rooms and public areas of the Fairmont Royal York. Using a balanced score card approach that considers the needs of all our stakeholders, you will ensure that the daily operation is achieving and exceeding targeted KPI's. Active participation in the strategic planning and vision of the department, division and hotel will ensure a seamless experience for our guests and colleagues alike.
Your experience and skills include:
- Responsible for the succsesful performance of all aspects of the Housekeeping, Laundry and Health Club departments
- Lead and coach the Housekeeping and Laundry teams in providing exceptional guest service, colleague satisfaction, and profitability
- Consistently offer welcoming, friendly and warm service to external and internal guests
- Lead and coach team to provide intuitive service, enegaging with external and internal guests and anticipating their needs
- Foster positive cross departmental relationships to create a seamless experience
- Follow detailed cleaning standards as set through our ALL Safe - Stay Well, Leading Quality Assurance and Accor's brand standards
- Ensuring all guest and colleague requests are handled in an efficient and professional manner according to brand standards
- Supporting company and hotel policies and procedures including creating, promoting and actively participate in EES, Health and Safety, and Voice of Guest initiatives
- Responsible for the overall cleanliness, maintenance and ambience of designated areas including service areas
- Ensuring machines and equipment are in working order in collaboration with Director, Engineering
- Regularly connect directly with guests in the space, creating a friendly and welcoming atmosphere
- Develop departmental goals and measurements resulting in a balanced score card of guest, colleague, shareholder and brand but understand guest satisfaction is dependent on colleague engagement.
- Ongoing professional development, growth, and job satisfaction of all leaders and colleagues through the department
- Ensure effective colleague planning, selection, training and development strategies are in place
- Key involvement in the Hotel's preventative maintenance programs.
- Execute monthly financial obligations towards the Housekeeping & Laundry expenses and productivity
- Assist in the preparation of the annual Housekeeping & Laundry budget and active participation in monthly forecasting, month end commentaries and profit & loss analysis
- Contribute towards and execute departmental and divisional capital plans
- Contributor in developing the hotel wide strategic goals and plans
- Promote and ensure a clean and SAFE working environment, with continual emphasis on promoting employee health and safety
- Advance environmental stewardship in the department and division
- Actively participate on hotel committees and ensure strong departmental representation on all hotel committees and activities
Physical Aspects of Position (included but not limited to):
- 5 - 7 years' experience in Housekeeping with a broad operational knowledge and a minimum 3 - 5 years in a senior leadership role is essential
- Proven ability to shape culture that benefits the constituents
- Familiar with managing within a unionized environment
- Diploma or degree in Hotel/Restaurant Management or related discipline a strong asset
- Previously demonstrated leadership skills supporting an environment of colleague growth and development, interdepartmental teamwork and exceptional customer service
- Ability to analyze data and trends and create strategies for improvement
- Innovative, creative and willing to take risks
- Results oriented with the ability to be flexible and work well under pressure
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with strong written and verbal communication abilities
- Creative and effective leader and team player, possessing a high degree of professionalism, sound human resources management principles, communication, administrative skills, ambition, drive, energy, and determination
Your team and working environment:
- Constant standing and walking throughout shift
- Frequent lifting and carrying up to 60 lbs
- Ability to push or pull objects up to 60 lbs
- Frequent work above shoulder height is required
- Frequent kneeling, pushing, pulling, lifting
- Frequent ascending or descending ladders, stairs and ramps
For over 91 years, Fairmont Royal York has stood proudly as a Toronto landmark. When the hotel opened in 1929 it was the tallest building in the British Common Wealth and contained 1,048 rooms, a concert hall, library, extensive bakery, radio station and even a hospital. Today, this essential downtown landmark has completed a multi-million dollar transformation, reimagining its lobby, rooms, dining venues, event spaces, and Fairmont Gold - the property's exclusive hotel within a hotel luxury experience. Another stunning chapter for Fairmont Royal York has begun. To learn more, click here . Note:
Must already be legally entitled to work in Canada to be considered for the position. In order to keep our employees and the general public safe from the threat of Covid 19 and the rise of variants in the community, the Hotel has implemented a Covid-19 Vaccination Policy. Our commitment to Diversity & Inclusion:
We are an inclusive company and our ambition is to attract, recruit and promote diverse talent. Why work for Accor?
We are far more than a worldwide leader. We welcome you as you are and you can find a job and brand that matches your personality. We support you to grow and learn every day, making sure that work brings purpose to your life, so that during your journey with us, you can continue to explore Accor's limitless possibilities.
By joining Accor, every chapter of your story is yours to write and together we can imagine tomorrow's hospitality. Discover the life that awaits you at Accor, visit https://careers.accor.com/
Do what you love, care for the world, dare to challenge the status quo! #BELIMITLESS