Job Description For Event Sales & Services Manager
Fairmont Royal York
Event Sales & Services Manager
Do you enjoy helping others and building emotional connections to make people feel special and welcomed? If so, then we want YOU to be part of our Fairmont Royal York family.
Every day you will be responsible for engaging with our guests, clients and colleagues. You will create the essential Toronto experience at the hotel that has been a Canadian icon for over 91 years. You will be given the responsibility to ensure that our guests and colleagues feel WELCOMED, CARED FOR and INCREDIBLE. Being part of the Fairmont Royal York family is more than providing warm and consistent service. As an ambassador of Fairmont Royal York, you will take the initiatives necessary to turn moments into memories by taking the time to understand our guests' purposes: why are they staying at Fairmont Royal York, what is their length of stay and what are their preferences and passions? Making our guests feel heard and cared for creates an emotional connection to our brand and builds loyalty.
These emotional connections are not just for guests. As part of the Fairmont Royal York family, you will be tasked with creating impactful relationships with your colleagues.
Through your passion and motivation, you sell memorable experience to guests who stay in your property. You are professional and knowledgeable about your property, and you build strong relationships and create bond with your guests.
If creating these lasting relationships and experiences excites you, read more about how your role supports our vision of continuing to create the essential Toronto experience!
What's in it for you:
What you will be doing:
- Employee benefit card offering discounted rates in Accor worldwide
- Learning programs through our Academies
- Opportunity to develop your talent and grow within your property and across the world!
- Ability to make a difference through our Corporate Social Responsibility activities, like Planet 21
Responsible for the planning and servicing of events varying in size and scope, both corporate and social as assigned, ensuring that all required information is received and communicated in a timely and effective manner.
Your experience and skills include:
- Solicit and confirm event related information with client to fulfill contractual timelines and commitments
- Organize / disseminate information in a professional and timely manner to all departments through various communication channels: email, directives, event orders, resumes, rooming lists and internal planning meetings
- Plan creative experiences and collaborate with the Executive Chef to curate custom menus
- Confirm and arrange production elements and logistics including: electrical, internet, telecommunications, audio-visual, exhibit and third part requirements
- Create floor plans that optimize space and ensure a memorable guest experience
- Finalizing event setups in planning phase to ensure banquet operations and client are in agreement prior to set up of meeting and event spaces
- Obtain guarantees of food and beverage events for banquets and culinary operations to manage and control labour and food costs
- Responsible for the managing of guestroom blocks and food and beverage covers in order to maintain forecast accuracy
- Initiate billing procedures, ensuring client credit is established and deposits and/or credit applications are received with adequate information and within an acceptable timeline
- Yield guestroom and meeting and event space daily to ensure optimum potential through the use of Opera Sales & Catering and PMS systems
- Conduct pre-conference meetings to ensure key operational departments are fully engaged and prepared to exceed expectations of our client programs
- Conduct and/or attend daily meeting to review event contracts to ensure last minute revisions are communicated with accuracy to banquets, culinary, stewarding and on-site audio-visual provider
- Fully aware of and in adherence to liquor and fire safety laws and regulations
- Fully knowledgeable with current industry trends and competitive offerings
- Attend daily, weekly and monthly departmental communication meetings; as well as divisional and operational meetings
- Facilitate post conference follow up with the Sales and Event Sales Managers, to address strengths and weakness of an event while soliciting return business opportunities
- Establish good business and social relationships with industry clients and partners by participating in activities to further increase sales opportunities for the Hotel
- Responsible for following the guidelines and timelines as detailed in the Event Sales & Services checklist
Physical Aspects of Position (included but not limited to):
- Hospitality Management Degree or equivalent
- Minimum of five years' experience in hotel sales and event planning. Additional experience in the hospitality industry is an asset
- Knowledgeable on food and beverage trends and the luxury hotel market
- Possess or attain CMP designation within three years of hire / taking position
- Excellent customer skills, superior interpersonal skills, results-oriented and highly motivated
- Proven ability to plan and execute events effectively with a strong attention to detail
- Working knowledge of Opera Sales & Catering - PMS, Microsoft Office - Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Social Tables
- Knowledge of forecasting and budgeting process
- Good understanding of all hotel departments particularly housekeeping, front office, banquets, and the kitchen
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
Your team and working environment:
- Occasional lifting and carrying up to 20 lbs
- Occasional kneeling, pushing, pulling, lifting
- Occasional ascending or descending ladders, stairs and ramps
- Ability to focus attention on guest needs, remaining calm and courteous at all times
- Frequent sitting throughout shift
For over 91 years, Fairmont Royal York has stood proudly as a Toronto landmark. When the hotel opened in 1929 it was the tallest building in the British Common Wealth and contained 1,048 rooms, a concert hall, library, extensive bakery, radio station and even a hospital. Today, this essential downtown landmark has completed a multi-million dollar transformation, reimagining its lobby, rooms, dining venues, event spaces, and Fairmont Gold - the property's exclusive hotel within a hotel luxury experience. Another stunning chapter for Fairmont Royal York has begun. To learn more, click here . Note
: Must already be legally entitled to work in Canada to be considered for the position. In order to keep our employees and the general public safe from the threat of Covid 19 and the rise of variants in the community, the Hotel has implemented a Covid-19 Vaccination Policy. Why work for Accor?
We are far more than a worldwide leader. We welcome you as you are and you can find a job and brand that matches your personality. We support you to grow and learn every day, making sure that work brings purpose to your life, so that during your journey with us, you can continue to explore Accor's limitless possibilities.
By joining Accor, every chapter of your story is yours to write and together we can imagine tomorrow's hospitality. Discover the life that awaits you at Accor, visit
Do what you love, care for the world, dare to challenge the status quo! #BELIMITLESS