Hotels & Resorts
Job Role :
Executive Sous Chef
Validate Through :
Salary Range (monthly):
USD 2,000 to 8,000
Salary Description: Competetive Salary Offered
Job Description For Executive Sous Chef
The Executive Sous Chef is responsible for supervising the overall Culinary operation and hygiene standards of the assigned outlet and to maintain high standards of quality of food offering. The position main responsibilities includes, but not limited to, achieving targets such as P&L Budget and Forecast, adhering to HACCP standards, food quality and guest satisfaction.
- Responsible for the quality of all food served throughout the restaurants and Western banquet. Ensures the food presented to guests is consistently of high quality standards.
- Constantly be alert on freshness, presentations and temperature of food served.
- Assists the Executive Chef with planning, co-ordination and supervision of all menu implementations.
- Assists in creating and developing new dishes and recipes by keeping up with the latest market trends.
- Supervises all food tasting sessions.
- Profitable and cost conscious and needs to be responsible about the daily requisitioning of all perishable and non-perishable food items.
- Assists the Executive Chef in constantly finding ways to further improve the food cost through strategic purchasing and working process, without negatively affecting pre-determined quality standards.
- Be responsible and accountable for the overall food cost as well as non-food costs such as kitchen supplies, energy costs, utensils and operating guest supplies.
- Controls and ensures that expenses/purchases/requisitions are within budget limits and maintains food gross profit set by the hotel.
- Ensures food portioning, serving, requisitions and receiving from stores are properly controlled to minimise wastage, in line with Standard Operating Procedures.
- Demonstrates management abilities and knowledge relating to budget matters such as Labor Costs, Training Expenses, Operating Equipment and Food Cost etc.
Hygiene and Sanitation
- Ensures a professional running of his/her kitchens and has to ensure that agreed quality, hygiene and other standards are kept or surpassed at all times in line HACCP and local authorities standards.
- Communication of local requirements, food sanitation laws, safety regulations and other to all staff.
- Ensures the grooming and hygiene practices of colleagues are in line with Raffles Hotel Singapore and National Environment Agency (NEA) standards.
- Conducts weekly kitchen walk-through with respective departments and ensures that the kitchen sanitation and Engineering maintenance and standards are met. Ensures all findings are solved and closed.
- Ensures that that the open kitchen is well organised and presentable at any given time.
- Careful in preventing the usage of spoiled or contaminated products in any phrase of food preparation. This prevents employees who are ill or suffering from an infection from taking part in the preparation or handling of food.
Management and Leadership of the Culinary Team
- Assists the Executive Chef with his responsibilities for the day to day running of his assigned kitchens and replaces the Executive Chef in his absence.
- Provides leadership, training and supervision on all production in the kitchens and oversees the quality as well as timely distribution of the food product originating from the kitchen.
- Uses the skills, knowledge, attitude, communications and team spirit to influence the assigned kitchen.
- Constantly strives to improve kitchen operating procedures.
- Proposes and initiates when approved, new services and products for our guests.
- Ensures disciplinary and grievance procedures are properly adhered to and followed.
- Be aware of and complies with all legislation affecting the operation, including licensing regulations, health regulations and fire and safety regulations.
- Ensures that positive working relations with other departments are fostered giving co-operation at all times.
- Fosters positive thinking and motivation by giving active assistance and advice on more effective ways of running the kitchens.
- Supervises the work of the colleagues and viewed as approachable, fair when dealing with all the Chefs on all culinary matters at all times.
- Assigns in detail specific duties to all colleagues, instructs them in their work and communicates with Executive Chef on all aspects of the kitchen management.
- Liaises with all departments to ensure a correct and professional operation is conducted.
- Ensures all colleagues are on time at all times and that proper disciplinary action is taken when the policies of the culinary division are not followed
- Coordinates all outlet functions with the Executive Chef, Catering Sales Executives and Chef-In-Charge to ensure maximum efficiency and use of facilities, food and colleagues' productivity.
- Ensures smooth and effective communication among the kitchens and with other departments.
- Compiles weekly colleagues' schedule and submit to Chef's Office by 12 pm every Thursday for approval.
- Evaluates the performance of the kitchen colleagues and gives Executive Chef any recommendations for promotions or other actions.
- Works with the Talent and Culture department on hiring of colleagues and ensures that proper follow-up is done, through the entire recruitment process.
- Attends daily meetings at 10 am and all other meetings, which fall under his/her jurisdiction, follows directives given and advises Executive Chef on topics of importance.
- Ensures that daily line-up is conducted within respective outlet.
- Ensures that all deadlines are met.
- Monitors and schedules annual leave in a timely and effective manner, with the best intent of outlet/colleagues.
Training, Learning and Development of Culinary Team
- Stream lines all training requirements and co-ordinates all arrangements for proper execution of instructions.
- Conducts training regularly for colleagues to develop their skills/new menu items. Records and submits monthly On-the-Job training hours to Chef's Office before the 15 th of each month.
- Guides the departmental orientation for new hires.
- Ensures that colleagues are aware of hotel rules and regulations.
- Ensures that colleagues are trained on fire and safety, emergency procedures and hygiene.
- Builds guest loyalty and develops a professional relationship with regular guests and patrons.
- Continually improves product and obtain feedback from guest and patrons.
- Handles customer comments and complaints and takes swift corrective action after consultation with the department head concerned.
- Performs any other reasonable duties as required by the department head from time to time.
- Upholds Accor values of Guest Passion, Trust, Sustainable Performance, Spirit of Conquest, Innovation and Respect, when undertaking any tasks and in any internal and external interactions.
- Follows sustainable procedures and practices that supports 'Planet 21' initiatives. (Accor's Corporate Social Responsibility program).
Knowledge and Experience
- Minimum Professional Certificate in a Culinary-related field.
- Minimum of 4 years of relevant experience in the Hotel industry in a similar position, preferably in a reputable establishment or celebrity chef restaurant, taking care of at least 3 Food and Beverage outlets and Banquet facilities.
- Proficient in written and conversational English.
- Prior work experience in Asia, Singapore or South East Asia is preferred.
- Accustomed to and comfortable with media exposure.
- Detailed knowledge of International cuisine.
- Familiar with local requirements and sanitation regulations.
- Technical knowledge and job skills training related to all international food served at the hotel and the effective use of provided materials.
- Knowledge of HACCP
- Good interpersonal skills with ability to communicate with all levels of colleagues.
- Service oriented with an eye for details.
- Multicultural awareness and able to work and thrive within a culturally diverse environment.
- Good presentation and influencing skills.
- Flexible and able to embrace and respond to change effectively.
- Ability to work independently and has good initiative under dynamic environment.
- Self-motivated and energetic.
- Leads to constantly improve the guest and colleague service experience.
- Leadership skills required - collaborative, enabling, and entrepreneurial.
- Demonstrates sophistication, humbleness, personality, charisma, confidence, professional etiquette and competencies.