Tips for searching the right Hospitality Job
The hospitality market is big and encompasses many roles, vocations, and career paths. To help you find the best role for your we have collected some hospitality job searching tips from around the industry.
How would the company hire you easily?
The time has passed when one person worked in one company or department all his/her life. People are more competitive and ambitious these days, they are more educated, have an acquainted amount of experience and talent which they bring to their workplace. Internet and technology have played a vital role; employees now keep themselves upgraded with the latest tech needed for their industry/role.
So, how do find your perfect job in this competitive and widely growing world market these days??? Here are a few tips that might help you!
1. Networking - Half of the industry jobs are never announced or published, to the best of your career, keep in touch with your Ex-Bosses and colleagues. Most of the recruitment happens with the references given by the staff /colleagues or internally. The position only goes out when the suitable match is not found internally or through references. You can network with hospitality professionals through Hozpitalityplus.com
2. Find your niche - It is very important to find the niche companies that deal with recruitment in your industry. Niche market, recruitment companies, and portals are the best way to find a suitable opportunity.
3. Always read the Job Description before you apply - My humble request to all the candidates to properly read the ad before applying for any position.
Companies have become more organized than ever, every company has an HR Department who works to decide the role of a certain position and unless and until it’s 90% match, you will not be hired.
If you are applying through an agency, you can request them about the Job description. When you apply for the position that matches your profile almost exactly, you have higher chances of getting shortlisted and getting hired by the company later.
Many candidates apply for anonymous positions regularly without reading the Job description or other details and keep waiting to hear from the recruitment companies or through the portals they have applied. Applying for unsuitable jobs may end up getting your precious CV in the Junk. (it may seem harsh but it is a bitter truth)
4. Nationality Barrier - Some companies/owners decide on which nationalities they would like to recruit for any particular position. It depends on their experience, the culture, and point of view. Some believe special skills are associated with some nationalities, some believe its favoritism and finally, some companies prefer particular nationalities because of the legalites of the country!
When you apply for jobs, make sure you don’t avoid the Nationality barrier, the Job Board you saw the ad on and the Consultant won't be able to help you if the position has been generated by the company.
5. Languages Required - Some jobs would require knowledge of the language for the specific region/geographical area to cater the clients. Make sure you know those languages, as you may be turned down just because of that.
6. Make sure you are applying for the same Industry Jobs - Companies hire a person to delegate responsibilities and not to teach them. Search suitable hotel or restaurant jobs through hozpitality.com
An IT Engineer who worked for numerous numbers of years is now looking for a change and is considering moving anywhere, regardless of industry or location. But please keep in mind, if a hotel in looking for an IT Manager, they would only need a person who has worked in the hotels before and knows how the hotel IT works.
If a person works in the financial sector and wants to apply for a new position, make sure you are applying in the same sector and for the same role, the company is looking for.
7. Do some research about the company before Face to Face interview - Make sure to research about the company and their culture before you go meet the employer as it always gives the positive impression about you and your interest in joining the company!
8. Last but not the least work on the CV - Make sure your CV is presentable, includes a photo, current contact details( on the top of the page ) and your experience is well described and professionally designed. For assistance with your CV design, you can visit our CV Design page
With Hozpitality job searching is easy and quick and that’s why we bring you all hospitality companies under one roof, where you can select and match your job profile and apply directly. Read on for more hospitality job searching tips.
Hozpitality.com gives you free access to thousands of jobs based in the Middle East, Asia and Africa region. In the era where you want to gain experience in different continents, hozpitality.com is your one stop shop. Dubai is the dream city for professionals, if you are hospitality professional and looking for your dream job, you have landed at the right junction.
Registration on Hozpitality.com is absolutely free, once you register and login, the below page will open up; choose your industry, level and search. The jobs that match your profile will show, you can apply directly from the link. Once you apply, your CV goes the hotel/company directly that posted the job and they should contact you directly on the contact no. mentioned on your Curriculum Vitae, make sure you post your most recent contact details in the CV.
- Spa and Health Club
- Retail/ Shopping Malls
- Bars and café
- Catering Companies
- Cruise lines/Ships
- Other Industry
- Food and Beverage Service
- Training and Development Jobs
- Travel Industry
- General Management
- Sales and Marketing/PR
Hotels/Companies create a job advert based on the requirement on the position. For example, if they are looking for Sales Manager for the hotel to serve the Russian clients, the ad will clearly reflect saying, “Sales Manager- preferably Russian speaking”. It does not mean the racial ad but the need of the position to attract Russian speaking clientele.
Salary is often described in the job ad and most of the companies refer to the salary, only in a few cases when the candidate is highly exceptional and brings tremendous amount of experience to break the ground immediately after joining, in that case, salary and package can be negotiated.
Job openings in island/boutique hotels/resorts/business hotel/airlines/facilities management companies require specialized experience and qualifications since all of them have different operations, work culture and techniques.
Identify Objective, Strength, Weaknesses
As the job market is very competitive, it is very important to identify your objectives and you should know your strength and weaknesses. It is very important for you to ask questions to yourself like how you could benefits your employer as well as what are your aspirations and motivations. Also you should be able to satisfy employer about your past and current work experience. Researching on employer (you can do it by checking out their websites) will certainly help you to convince employer that you can be a real asset to his team.
Online Social Networks
Networking is very crucial for any industry, your references and colleagues can push you on the ladder when needed. Make sure to connect with the industry colleagues through social networks and keep in touch.
Also note that your Public Profile is your personal brand, choose wisely what you post and how you deal publicly.