Industry : Other Industry
Department : Engineering
Location : Chicago, United States
Level : Management
Posted : 28 Jun 2022
Job Role : Assistant Chief Engineer
Recruiter : Hyatt Hotels
Job Ref : HOZ64335
Employment Type: Permanent
Job Type :
Validate Through : 2022-09-12
Salary Range (monthly): USD 2,000 to 8,000
Salary Description: Competetive Salary Offered
Hyatt Hotels Corporation is an international hotel operating company with $4.5B in annual revenue and more than 1000 properties spanning more than 60 countries. We are dedicated to completely reinventing the way we engage with our guests and are actively seeking transformative digital professionals to play a key role in these efforts. As a family-owned business since 1957, Hyatt has expanded to a global organization spanning 19 individual brands and engages with millions of customers every single year. We are seeking a Product Engineering Manager to work on one of Hyatt's Digital Product teams, as well as on new groundbreaking applications designed for Hyatt hotel associates and guests. This is a technical management position, ideal for someone who is skilled and passionate about front-end and/or back-end development, and eager to expand their managerial skills. You will lead developers in a cross-functional team, with a passion for reaching continuous delivery. As a manager, you will also be responsible for building the team's capacity and capabilities through personnel, technological, and process development. Product Engineering Managers will work closely with their Product and Design partners to plan and negotiate iterative development cycles in an agile environment. The work will be primarily outcome-based objectives with a goal of measuring and showing improvement. This position will work on the In-Stay Portfolio which is focused on features a guest would use while at a hotel. Product Engineering Managers also collaborate with the Platform Ops team to build infrastructure and care for the mobile apps, Hyatt.com and associated properties in production, as Tier 3 support. They apply DevOps tools and culture to deliver software to production early and often, with highly automated and reliable procedures.
The ideal candidate will possess some or all of the following characteristics:
• You are a software engineer who values quality over quantity, but you are not a zealot or perfectionist.
• You like Agile. You like DevOps. So, you like Continuous Delivery.
• You like to build upon platforms composed of loosely coupled, contractually obligated services.
• You want to help software disappear seamlessly into our guests' interactions and improve them.
• You want mobile apps to be first class citizens in the software world with capabilities equal to or better than web apps.
• You are a maker and you are driven by the thought of seeing your creation in the hands of millions of customers.
• You like the challenge of simplifying complex systems, and you always consider the big picture even when acting locally.
• You love it when a plan comes together but understand the importance of flexible and novel thinking to achieve the desired outcomes.
• You demonstrate a commitment to Hyatt core values: respect, integrity, humility, empathy, creativity, and fun.
Position Responsibilities / Essential Functions:
• Collaborates with performing teams to deliver new capabilities in business applications and/or remediate issues. Receives assignments in the form of objectives and determines how to use resources to meet schedules and goals.
• Provides guidance to subordinates within the latitude of established company policies. Ability to analyze workflow; delegate projects to team members to meet department goals. Effectively manage team workload.
• Attends architecture meetings to ensure projects meet standards and that architecture adequately meets project needs.
• Adapts to new business contexts and is integral in the delivery and design of system components in multiple teams.
• Works with leadership to identify and resolve enterprise-level issues with technology and process.
• Ability to work with minimal supervision to direct and improve a small team. Assumes team level responsibilities and identifies and resolves in-depth needs.
• Works with product and design leads to help stakeholders translate ideas into technical solutions.
• Organizes and leads technical meetings to reach inter-group consensus, when necessary
• Provide Tier 3 production support - able to troubleshoot complex technical issues through debugging, research, and investigation
• The position responsibilities outlined above are in no way to be construed as all-encompassing. Other duties, responsibilities, and qualifications may be required and/or assigned as necessary.
• 5-8+ years of experience in a full-time development role. Academic projects and/or side projects may be considered as well.
• BS in Computer Science or equivalent combination of technical education and work experience.
• A partial, unordered list of additionally useful skills includes CSS3, HTML5, Jenkins, Docker, Kubernetes, Groovy, Selenium, Splunk, and Datadog.
• Strong Agile experience preferred in an environment leveraging devops patterns and practices.
• Preferred candidate is passionate about travel and the Hospitality industry.