IHG Hotels & Resorts Study: Is Togetherness the Next Destination for Travel?
IHG Hotels & Resorts releases insights into future travel showing renewed optimism and resolve for human connection
FEB. 9, 2021 (DUBAI) For generations, travel has inspired storytelling in our favourite books and songs and fuelled the growth of cultures and civilizations. But over the last year, the world went on a different kind of journey, swapping passports for puzzles and beaches for binge-watching. Now, a new survey from IHG Hotels Resorts reveals how much people are longing for human connection, to be with their loved ones, and to make new memories.
Close to 60 percent of survey respondents said they cancelled up to four trips (leisure and business) last year. More than half the travellers surveyed said they have now rebooked cancelled trips or plan to rebook them, with family holidays and visiting loved ones topping travel wish lists for 2021. And while the pandemic isnt over, the roll-out of vaccines is igniting hope and optimism, as respondents across all age groups, 18 to 55+, say spending time with family and friends is a primary motivator for travel this year.
When the World Opens
- One in five respondents said they plan to make up for the lack of travel in 2020 by going on more trips than they typically plan for when it is safe to do so.
- One in five people overall said they hope to travel to a place on their bucket list in 2021, with that being true for one in three travellers aged 18 to 24.
- Speaking of younger travellers, this age group was five times as likely to say that volunteering for a community in need was a primary motivator for travel.
- One in three surveyed said going to restaurants and trying new foods has the most positive impact on their holidays.
- Over a third of all those surveyed, including 50 percent of those 55 and older, said the COVID-19 vaccine being easily and widely available is when they want to start to travel again.
James Britchford, VP Commercial IMEA, IHG Hotels Resorts:"It's often said that travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer, and our survey results prove that people are hungry for those rich experiences again. But the world has changed, and travel decisions must be made more thoughtfully. As we look ahead, we've all had a lot of time to think about what travel means to us, what trips are most important, and how we want to reconnect with loved ones."
"So, whether it's that longed-for family beach vacation, a weekend getaway with friends, your first in-person business meeting, or a special anniversary trip our family of 16 brands is ready to help open up the world when the time is right; and welcome travellers back with confidence, as we embark on the next chapter of travel."
Taking Care of Business
- One in three workers globally stated the lack of business travel in 2020 demotivated them.
- 40 percent of those who travel for business said they miss face-to-face meetings.
- More than half of respondents said business travel allows them to "create meaningful relationships with colleagues, customers, and/or clients."
- Nearly 45 percent shared that business travel improves their working mood and makes them more motivated.
That Hotel Life
- While on holiday, the majority of Americans said traveling with loved ones, creating new memories, and having quality time with others had the most positive impact on their mood, while most U.K. travellers said it was chasing sunshine and for Australians it was sightseeing. When it comes to what respondents travelling for work miss the most, one in three said it was "sleeping in a comfy hotel bed" and one in four said "room service."
- One in four respondents ages 45+ said they enjoy leisure time for romance and intimacy while on holiday.
IHG Hotels Resorts is one of the worlds leading hotel companies. With nearly 6,000 hotels in over 100 countries, its family of 16 brands is a collection of welcoming experiences, for wherever guests go and however they want to stay. As people get excited to travel again, IHGHotels Resortsis ready to meet them with a growing brand portfolio of stunning new properties likevoco The Franklin New York,Hotel Indigo Dubai Downtown, andGrand InterContinental SeoulParnasin South Korea.
All the figures are from OnePoll, a survey-led marketing research company specialising in online and mobile polling. It has offices in London and Bristol, U.K.
Six-thousand people were surveyed: 2000 in the United States, 2000 in the United Kingdom, 2000 in Australia.
Survey was conducted online between January 5th and January 8th of 2021.
The figures stated have been weighted and are representative of adults (18+) in every region.
About IHG Hotels Resorts
IHG Hotels Resorts[LON:IHG, NYSE:IHG (ADRs)] is a global organisation with a broad portfolio of hotel brands, includingSix Senses Hotels Resorts Spas,Regent Hotels Resorts,InterContinental Hotels Resorts,Kimpton Hotels Restaurants,Hotel Indigo,EVEN Hotels,HUALUXE Hotels and Resorts,Crowne Plaza Hotels Resorts,voco,Holiday Inn Hotels Resorts,Holiday Inn Express,Holiday Inn Club Vacations,avid hotels,Staybridge Suites,Atwell Suites, andCandlewood Suites.
IHG franchises, leases, manages or owns nearly 6,000 hotels and 890,000 guest rooms inmore than 100 countries, with approximately 1,900 hotels in its development pipeline. IHG also managesIHG Rewards, our global loyalty programme, which has more than 100 million enrolled members.InterContinental Hotels Group PLCis the Groups holding company and is incorporated in Great Britain and registered in England and Wales.
Approximately400,000 people work across IHGs hotels and corporate offices globally.Visitwww.ihg.comfor hotel information and reservations andwww.ihgrewards.comfor more on IHG Rewards. For our latest news, visit ourNewsroomand follow us onLinkedIn,FacebookandTwitter.