Junior Sous Chef- Aspen Meadows Resort
12 Oct 2016
The Junior Sous Chef's responsibility is to supervise and coordinate the preparation of food according to standards set by the Executive Chef. This job is a team leader in the departmental work team. Has responsibility and accountability for team activities. Physical Requirements:
- Regular exposure to stresses.
- The workload required to perform this job requires ability to adapt to change.
- Some portions (10 - 50%) of daily assignments involve application of manual skills requiring motor coordination in combination with finger dexterity, e.g., typing, handwriting, or machine operations.
- Significant portions (more than 50%) of daily assignments involve prolonged standing, transporting material or equipment, or lifting, moving, or carrying heavy (over 30 pounds) materials for intermittent periods throughout the day.
- Significant portions (more than 50%) of daily assignments involve exposure to dirt, odors, noise, or temperature / weather extremes. Working surfaces may be unlevel, slippery, or unstable.
- Work regularly requires or varies between day, evening, night, holiday, or weekend assignments. Schedule varies according to business demands and needs.
- Significant portions (more than 50%) of daily assignments involve occupational risk, such as cuts, burns, exposure to toxic chemicals, injuries from falls, or back injury sustained with assisting in moving, lifting, or positioning equipment or materials.
- Some portions (10 - 50%) of daily assignments involve ergonomic risk, such as regular repetitive tasks, forceful or prolonged exertions of the hands, vibration, cold temperatures, heavy lifting, pulling, pushing, or carrying of heavy objects, poor body mechanics, restrictive workstations, or awkward postures.
- Responsible for providing guidance to others performing some or similar functions in the area of safety as part of formal orientation to the job / department and on an on-going basis.
- Position does not require travel to other Wyndham properties or client locations. Work is completed on the property.
- Maintain a warm and friendly demeanor at all times.
- Must be able to effectively communicate both verbally and written, with all level of employees and guests in an attentive, friendly, courteous and service oriented manner.
- Must be effective at listening to, understanding, and clarifying concerns raised by employees and guests.
- Must be able to multitask and prioritize departmental functions to meet deadlines.
- Approach all encounters with guests and employees in an attentive, friendly, courteous and service-oriented manner.
- Attend all hotel required meetings and trainings.
- Maintain regular attendance in compliance with Wyndham Hotel Group Standards, as required by scheduling, which will vary according to the needs of the hotel.
- Maintain high standards of personal appearance and grooming, which includes wearing the proper uniform and nametag.
- Comply with Wyndham Hotel Group Standards and regulations to encourage safe and efficient hotel operations.
- Maximize efforts towards productivity, identify problem areas and assist in implementing solutions.
- Must be effective in handling problems, including anticipating, preventing, identifying and solving problems as necessary.
- Must be able to understand and apply complex information, data, etc. from various sources to meet appropriate objectives.
- Must be able to cross-train in other hotel related areas.
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality of information.
- Must be able to show initiative, including anticipating guest or operational needs.
- Perform other duties as requested by management.
Duties & Functions
- Have thorough working knowledge of menus and preparation required to produce food according to hotel standards.
- Assist in controlling costs by maintaining food cost within budgeted guidelines.
- Ensure the completion of necessary food and station preparations prior to opening the restaurant and Room Service in order to ensure that guests are served promptly and efficiently during operating hours.
- Ensure the completion and display of buffet items according to hotel standards.
- Assist and supervise on kitchen line during restaurant operating hours to maintain the highest standards of efficiency, productivity, and quality. Be able to support any position in the kitchen that is in need of help.
- Supervise the preparation of food for the Employee Cafeteria, as necessary.
- Ensure that food is prepared following hotel standard recipes.
- Be familiar with all kitchen tools and equipment to include: Electric slicer, buffalo chopper, commercial blender, ovens, broilers, range tops, steam kettles, grill, fryer, mixers, food processors, meat grinders, seam table, knives, etc.
- Maintain the "Clean As You Go" policy. Be responsible for maintaining the sanitation and cleaning schedules of the kitchen. Keep all storage areas neat, orderly, and clean.
- Supervise and assist with the break down of buffets and kitchen line, ensuring proper storage of food and equipment at the end of each meal period.
- Ensure that all employees practice safe work habits at all times to avoid injury to self or other employees.
- Assist, as necessary, with the following: Scheduling, ordering, cost controls, training, production charts, daily inventory charts, overseeing daily prep list and ensure completion.
- Assist in maintaining a key control system within the kitchen.
- Be familiar with the hotel's emergency procedures.
- Aid in the security of food items; ensure the meat locker, storeroom and walk-ins are locked when not in use.
- Ensure that the Employee Breakroom is kept neat, orderly and clean.
- Follow all Health Department and Company regulations in regards to food and storage standards and safety.
- Assist in training staff in the operation and maintenance of all kitchen equipment.
- Maintain control of banquet functions while producing and plating.
- Supervises and coordinates the production of food according to menu specifications.
- Assists the Cooks in preparation of specific cuisine.
- Inspects quality of food products used to prepare cuisine. Informs Banquet Chef when quality is not acceptable.
- Ensures all cuisine served to guests follow establish guidelines for quantity, quality, appearance, and palatability.
- Checks physical cleanliness of operations. Ensures all staff practice "clean as you go" techniques.
- Maintains proper working order of all equipment. Inspects ovens, burners, water faucets, and refrigerators. Reports deficiencies to Engineering Department.
- May perform Sous Chef, Executive Sous Chef, and stewarding or Cook duties as needed.
Qualification Standards Education & Experience:
- High School diploma or equivalent and/or experience in a hotel or related field preferred.
- At least 3 years of related progressive experience or a culinary graduate with at least 1 year of progressive experience in a hotel or related field.
- Previous supervisory responsibility preferred.