Director of Sales and Marketing
12 Oct 2016
We are a full service San Diego waterfront hotel with 600 rooms and suites featuring furnished balconies with relaxing views of the sparkling Big Bay and panoramic skyline. Our 24,000 square feet of meeting space has recently been renovated and offers flexibility for distinctive conferences, reunions, weddings, and events. Our average tenure for 230 associates is 14 years of service that speaks to the dedication our associates have for the property, its people, and guest. Our hotel professionals stand ready to go the extra mile and deliver an exceptional experience. We are seeking Sales professionals who have the Count on Me! spirit and are looking to grow their career. Wyndham San Diego Bayside presents the ideal opportunity to take your Sales career to the next level! Job Description Wyndham Hotel Group is searching for a Director of Sales to work at our beautiful Wyndham San Diego Bayside property in San Diego, CA . This position is responsible for directing, coordinating, training and supervising the Sales Managers, Catering Manager(s) and Sales/Catering Administrators/Coordinators/Administrative Assistants in all sales-related activities, including direct sales efforts, follow-up and proper sales administration. He/she is also responsible for growing existing accounts and generating new business to ensure that Room revenues and Catering revenues meet or exceed budget in order to maximize revenue and profits, and to improve the hotel's performance in the marketplace. Responsibilities will include but not be limited to: - Supervise, administer and ensure timely completion of all activities of the Sales Department. - Develop a full working knowledge of the operations of the hotel, including Food and Beverage, Guest Services and Reservations. - Develop a complete knowledge of company sales policies and SOP's, and ensure knowledge of and adherence to those policies by the sales team. - Develop and maintain market awareness to ensure ability to predict revenue opportunities and set proactive strategies. - Meet or exceed set goals - Operate the Sales Department within established sales expense budget. - Be responsible for developing a Manager in Development (MID or DOSID) as assigned by the Corporate including sign-off on all competencies, and assist in his/her placement. - Coordinate group, transient and catering bookings to maximize profits. - Initiate and follow up on leads. - Maintain and participate in an active sales solicitation program. - Monitor production of all top accounts and evaluate trends within your market and ensure that the Sales Team is held accountable for those accounts within their respective territories. - Coordinate all non-group transient sales and catering solicitations to maximize overall profits. - Administer training in the Sales and Catering departments, according to Wyndham standards. - Assist in the preparation of required reports in a timely manner. - Conduct weekly sales meetings according to Wyndham standards. - Develop quarterly KRA's, and review the KRA process with the Sales and Catering Team to ensure that deadlines are met. - Conduct daily Wyndham Business Review (WBR) meeting with Sales and Catering, operations staff and General Manager. - Be familiar with all Wyndham sales policies and selling techniques with an emphasis on maximizing occupancy, Average Daily Rate (ADR) and Banquet and Catering revenues. - Conduct all Sales and Catering Team Performance Appraisals according to Wyndham SOP's. - Motivate, coach, counsel and discipline all Sales and Catering department personnel according to Wyndham SOP's. - Review meeting planner evaluations as received to ensure that any problems are rectified. - Conduct a professional, thorough site inspection of the hotel with clients, exhibiting key features and benefits of the property, and ensure that all Sales Managers conduct thorough site inspections. - Develop strategies to increase share from competitors when the hotel revenue penetration goals are not being met. - Use your property's computerized sales management system to manage the hotel's business, including (but not limited to) generating reports, entering business, blocking space and building accounts. - Monitor the Sales incentive plans and ensure that Sales staff can explain their potential earnings and benefits, and assist in ensuring that incentives are processed and paid according to the specified time period for each plan. - Ensure that Sales and Catering Managers are planning and executing sales trips as outlined in quarterly Key Result Areas (KRA's) and in the Sales budget, including preplanning, setting appointments and executing sales calls. - Coordinate the preparation of complete and accurate end-of-month reports, according to Wyndham SOP's. Ensure that Sales Managers can explain the importance and components of the report. - Coordinate preparation of the annual revenue budget. - Coordinate preparation of the annual Marketing Plan. - Coordinate and direct preparation of the monthly Rooms revenue reforecast for the current and upcoming months and assist in ensuring accuracy within 5% margin of error. - Meet and greet onsite contacts. - Abide by Prime Selling Time (PST) and ensure that the Sales Team does the same. - Understand all GDS systems. - Understand ISIS. - Understand loading rates into ISIS/GDS. M - Develop networking opportunities through active participation in community and professional associations activities and events - Entertain clients. - React to negative trends in the market place by implementing blitzes or promotions. - Handle inquiries as part of Inquiry Day Program.
- Must be able to effectively communicate both verbally and written with all level of employees and guests in an attentive, friendly, courteous and service oriented manner.
- Must be effective at listening to, understanding, and clarifying concerns raised by employees and guests.
- Must be able to multitask and prioritize departmental functions to meet deadlines.
- Approach all encounters with guests and employees in an attentive, friendly, courteous and service-oriented manner.
- Attend all hotel required meetings and trainings.
- Maintain regular attendance in compliance with Wyndham Standards, as required by scheduling, which will vary according to the needs of the hotel.
- Maintain high standards of personal appearance and grooming, which include wearing nametags.
- Comply with Wyndham Standards and regulations to encourage safe and efficient hotel operations.
- Maximize efforts towards productivity, identify problem areas and assist in implementing solutions.
- Must be effective in handling problems, including anticipating, preventing, identifying and solving problems as necessary.
- Must be able to understand and evaluate complex information, data, etc. from various sources to meet appropriate objectives.
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality of information.
- Perform other duties as requested by management.
- At least 6 years of progressive hotel sales experience; or a 4-year college degree and at least 3 years of related experience; or a 2-year college degree and at least 5 years of hotel sales experience.
- Supervisory experience required.
- Must have a driver's license in the applicable state.
- Must be proficient in Windows, Company approved spreadsheets and word processing.
- Long hours sometimes required.
- Light work - Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects.
An Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Vets/Disabled & Drug Free Workplace