Director of Catering
12 Nov 2016
As the world's largest hotel company, and a leading player in the global hospitality industry, Wyndham Hotel Group boasts 7,500 hotels and 15 brands in 70 countries-all supported by more than 7,000 associates on six continents. And we know our success is attributable to our associates, a bright, talented and diverse group of individuals who embrace our signature Count On Me! service culture and have a passion for excellence. To learn more visit us at http://www.wyndhamworldwide.com.
The Hayes Mansion resort hotel is one of the South Bay's most impressive and distinctive historical structures. The Dolce Hayes Mansion is an exquisite fusion of turn-of-the-century luxury and high-tech convenience. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the meticulously renovated Spanish Colonial Revival-style manor is as opulent as ever. This quiet haven, complete with sweeping mountain views, offers the perfect destination for business meetings, special events, weddings or relaxing vacation - just 15 minutes from San Jose International Airport and 45 minutes from San Francisco and Monterey. Nearby, wineries, nightlife and championship golf beckon. Stunning decor, and unparalleled guest service have made the Dolce Hayes Mansion an award-winning legend once again
Wyndham Hotel Group is searching for a Director of Catering to work at our beautiful Dolce Hayes Mansion property in San Jose, California. This position is responsible for planning, soliciting and promoting catering business for the hotel, development of the overall hotel Catering plans and budgets. The Director of Catering is responsible for revenue maximization and control of Catering expenses through effective negotiation of services and accurate forecasting.
Responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Manages the catering team: staffing, coaching, and performance management.
- Attain pre-set monthly revenue goals for Catering, as determined by the General Manager, including controlling all aspects of Catering to maintain budgeted profitability.
- Assist in the preparation annual departmental budgets, according to the specifications set forth by the General Manager and Director of Sales & Marketing, with the assistance of the property Controller.
- Actively pursue prospective clients for future and possible repeat business, both over the telephone and during local social and professional events, and trade shows.
- Collaborate with the Director of Sales & Marketing to develop annual Marketing & Advertising plan.
- Meet and exceed the Catering budget as set by the Executive Committee in order to maximize revenues.
- Plan and price menus for all Food and Beverage functions in conjunction with Food & Beverage Department and in a manner that will maximize revenues for the Hayes Mansion and still meet the needs of the client.
- Monitor space and set parameters for the properties Space Release Plan, to ensure that the space is utilized so as to maximize revenue.
- Oversee the equitable relationship with outside vendor services, as needed for in-house groups.
- Build and maintain customer loyalty.
- Prepare reports as requested.
- Assists with and completes special projects and assignments as designated by the Dir. of Sales and Marketing.
- Due to the cyclical nature of the hospitality industry, employees may be required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the hotel. In addition, attendance at all scheduled training sessions and meetings is required. Work may require evening, night, holiday, or weekend assignments on occasion.
- Minimum formal education of high school diploma or GED with college degree highly preferred.
- 7+ years of direct sales experience within mid-size to large full-service resort/hotel, with at least 3 years in a supervisory role.
- Solid working knowledge of operational departments such as banquets and food and beverage.
- Proven track record of driving solid results.
- Excellent communications skill (oral & written).
- Proven ability to effectively develop & lead a team to achieve/exceed growth goals.
- Proven ability to foster relationships with key third party vendors.
- Demonstrated analytical ability and financial acumen and report writing skills.
- Effective presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Computer literate. Prefer Microsoft Office proficiency. Prefer experience with Delphi, Lanyon and Opera hotel automation systems.
- Must have employment eligibility in the U.S.
- Must be able to sit at a desk for up to 5 hours per day. Walking and standing are required the rest of the working day. While attending trade shows, must be able to stand for up to 8 hours per day. This includes traveling to and from meetings and may include air travel. Length of time of these tasks may vary from day to day and task to task.
- Must be able to exert well-paced ability to reach other departments of the hotel on a timely basis.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 lbs. occasionally.
- Requires grasping, writing, standing, sitting, walking, repetitive motions, listening and hearing ability and visual acuity. Some portions of daily assignments involve ergonomic risk, such as repetitive tasks, hands exertion, vibration, cold temperatures, poor body mechanics, restrictive work stations or awkward postures.
- Some portions of the assignments require travel to other hotels, trade shows and client events via car, plane, rail, subway or other mode.
- Talking and hearing occur continuously in the process of communicating with guests, supervisors and subordinates.
- Vision occurs continuously with the most common visual functions being those of near vision and depth perception.
- Must have finger dexterity to be able to operate office equipment such as computers, printers, 10-key adding machine, multi-line touch tone phone, filing cabinets, FAX machines, photocopiers, dolly and other office equipment as needed.
An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. If you are an individual with a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation as part of the employment selection process, please contact Sheila Cena at (408) 362-2327. A copy of the company's affirmative action plan is available at the property in the Human Resource office during normal business hours.