Bethesda, United States
Job Role :
Assistant Chief Engineer
Validate Through :
Salary Range (monthly):
USD 8,000 to 12,000
Salary Description: Competetive Salary Offered
Job Description For Director, Software Engineering - Catalog
Job Number 22133014
Job Category Information Technology
Location Marriott International HQ, 7750 Wisconsin Avenue, Bethesda, Maryland, United States VIEW ON MAP
Located Remotely? N
Position Type Management
Marriott is entering an exciting era of tech transformation. This role functions as a technical and solution architecture expert. Responsible for defining and creating scalable/secure system solutions to deliver real world capabilities within a rapidly evolving digital platform. Leads engagement across multiple teams and stakeholder to make decisions on complex, non-routine service requests with moderate to medium risk. Performs research, analysis, design, creation and implementation of applications to meet current and future user requirements. Defines and creates the next generation of solutions to drive Marriott value by creating solutions that serve our business needs leveraging current and leading-edge technologies in an innovative and impactful manner.
Education and Experience
- 10+ years' experience in developing software solutions across multiple technologies and methodologies
- 10+ years' experience with application development tools
- 4+ years' experience in architecture solution development for complex/enterprise level systems
- 4-year degree or equivalent experience/certification
- Self-driven, curious and a fast-learner, and able to work in a fast-paced environment launching new consumer products to market
- Strong interpersonal and stakeholder management skills with the ability to coordinate between technical and business teams
- 4+ years of experience implementing MDM and PIM platforms.
- Management of multiple Omni-Channel development efforts integrating with multiple back-end systems
- Experience with Automation, CI/CD, Release Management processes and Application Deployments to Cloud.
- Experience with public cloud platforms like AWS.
- Strong understanding of data analysis, quality and querying.
- Working in a Product-based model and building strong partnerships with Product owners by providing innovative technology solutions to complex business problems
- Ability to communicate complex technology solutions to both Product owners in a business-friendly manner and to Enterprise Architects in most technical detail
- Management of cross functional, sourced, or matrixed teams
- Undergraduate/graduate degree or equivalent education + experience
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to articulate complex technical ideas in easy-to-understand business terms
- 4+ years of IT operations experience in handling large scale mission-critical applications and systems
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES Technical Leadership
- Technology certifications
- Stibo experience is highly preferred.
- 4+ years' experience building microservices
- Experience in waterfall and/or agile software methodologies (SDLC, SAFe Agile)
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate future software engineering opportunities
- Technology leadership experience in a sourced environment
- Knowledge of business environment, service requirements and hospitality culture
- Provides deep expertise in defining the architectural and technical software solutions to deliver critical capabilities in an enterprise platform
- Provides recommendations and perspective on forward looking technology and tools for future state system development
- Trains and/or mentors other team members, and peers as appropriate
- Facilitates compliance with the standard set of application development tools and processes that will drive consistency and predictability throughout the SDLC for all client groups including:
- SDLC standard tools and processes for both waterfall and agile development
- Estimating standard tools and processes, incorporating flexibility for small and large projects
- Identifies opportunities to enhance the service delivery processes.
- Responsible for creating technical solutions for complex business needs
- Responsible for estimating level of effort to create to deliver solutions
- Validates completeness of requirements when reviewing Service Provider solutions
- Ensures all solutions follow the defined enterprise architecture standards and review processes
- Ensures proper coordination with appropriate IT and vendor relations teams
- Provides consultation for routine and complex systems development
- Ensures early warning to the business stakeholder executives regarding degraded or missed service levels
- Coordinates with Operations and Infrastructure teams for deployment and production support activities
Service Provider Management
- Follows all defined IR standards and processes (i.e. IT Governance, SM&G, Architecture, etc.), and provides input for improvements to the appropriate process owners as needed
- Maintains a proper balance between business and operational risk
- Follows the defined project management standards and processes
MANAGEMENT COMPETENCIES Leadership
- Validates that Service Providers develop and manage respective aspects of a project plan, including schedules, deliverables, and appropriate metrics.
- Makes short term plans for the team to effectively utilize resources
- Monitors Service Provider outcomes
- Reviews estimates of work effort for client project provided by Service Providers for accuracy
- Facilitates timely resolution of service delivery problems and minimizes the impact to clients
- Communication - Conveys information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner through a variety of methods.
- Leading Through Vision and Values -Keeps the organization's vision and values at the forefront of employee decision making and action.
- Managing Change - Initiates and/or manages the change process and energizes it on an ongoing basis, taking steps to remove barriers or accelerate its pace; serves as role model for how to handle change by maintaining composure and performance level under pressure or when experiencing challenges.
- Problem Solving and Decision Making - Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; obtains and compares information from different sources to draw conclusions, develops and evaluates alternatives and solutions, solves problems, and chooses a course of action.
- Professional Demeanor - Exhibits behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
- Strategy Development - Develops business plans by exploring and systematically evaluating opportunities with the greatest potential for producing positive results; ensures successful preparation and execution of business plans through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
- Building a Successful Team - Uses an effective interpersonal style to build a cohesive team; inspires and sustains team cohesion and engagement by focusing the team on its mission and importance to the organization.
- Strategy Execution - Ensures successful execution across of business plans designed to maximize customer satisfaction, profitability, and market share through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
- Driving for Results - Sets high standards of performance for self and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively takes action and goes beyond what is required.
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability
- Customer Relationships - Develops and sustains relationships based on an understanding of customer/stakeholder needs and actions consistent with the company's service standards.
- Global Mindset - Supports employees and business partners with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes differences to drive innovation, engagement and enhance business results; and ensures employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
- Strategic Partnerships - Develops collaborative relationships with fellow employees and business partners by making them feel valued, appreciated, and included; explores partnership opportunities with other people in and outside the organization; influences and leverages corporate and continental shared services and/or discipline leaders (e.g., HR, Sales & Marketing, Finance, Revenue Management) to achieve objectives; maintains effective external relations with government, business and industry in respective countries; performs effectively as a liaison between locations, disciplines, and corporate to ensure needed resources are received and corporate strategies are understood and executed.
Learning and Applying Professional Expertise
- Developing Others - Supports the development of other's skills and capabilities so that they can fulfill current or future job/role responsibilities more effectively.
- Organizational Capability - Evaluates and adapts the structure of assignments and work processes to best fit the needs and/or support the goals of an organizational unit.
- Continuous Learning - Actively identifies new areas for learning; regularly creates and takes advantage of learning opportunities; uses newly gained knowledge and skill on the job and learns through their application.
- Technical Acumen - Understanding and utilizing professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage everyday business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific work challenges
- Technical Intelligence: Knowledge and ability to define and apply appropriate technology to enhance business process
- Development Methodologies: Knowledge of general stages of SDLC framework and the application tiers within the development space.
- Information Security: Knowledge of the security considerations relevant within the development space, including industry best practices related to information security
- Business Acumen - Understands and utilizes business information to manage everyday operations and generate innovative solutions to approach business and administrative challenges.
- Basic Competencies - Fundamental competencies required for accomplishing basic work activities.
- Basic Computer Skills - Using basic computer hardware and software (e.g., personal computers, word processing software, Internet browsers, etc.).
- Mathematical Reasoning - The ability to add, subtract, multiply, or divide quickly, correctly, and in a way that allows one to solve work-related issues.
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
This position requires proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment, subject to applicable law. If you are offered employment, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation request is received and approved.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive, people-first culture. We are committed to non-discrimination on any protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any other basis covered under applicable law.
Marriott International is the world's largest hotel company, with more brands, more hotels and more opportunities for associates to grow and succeed. We believe a great career is a journey of discovery and exploration. So, we ask, where will your journey take you?