Job Description For Duty Engineer
Posting Date May 11, 2022
Job Number 22077402
Job Category Engineering & Facilities
Location Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, 1 Festival Square, Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom VIEW ON MAP
Brand Sheraton Hotels & Resorts
Position Type Non-Management
Located Remotely? N
When you join the Sheraton family, you become a member of its global community. We've been a place to gather and connect since 1937. At Sheraton, associates create a sense of belonging in more than 400 communities around the world. We welcome guests through engaging experiences and thoughtful service. If you're a team player who is excited to deliver a meaningful guest experiences, we encourage you to explore your next career opportunity with Sheraton.
The Sheraton Grand Hotel and Spa are currently recruiting for a full time Duty Engineer to join the Maintenance Team. The Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa is one of Scotland's leading 5 star hotels. As the largest 5 star hotel, we also have the biggest banqueting and meeting facilities of any hotel in Edinburgh with a capacity of up to 500 as well as our award winning ONE SPA and our One Square Restaurant and bar.
- Responsible for carrying out all day-to-day maintenance issues in the engineering department effectively and efficiently in both the Hotel and the Spa.
- Responsible for identifying, extracting and inputting all reactive and planned maintenance work in the Maximo system, and carrying out all tasks effectively and efficiently.
- Ensuring all areas are maintained to the high standard expected by our guests.
- To prioritise incoming work with safety and our guests comfort being attended to first.
- To advise Assistant Chief Engineer of any concerns associated with your work schedule.
- To carry out shift duty as per rota.
- To be proactive and enthusiastic in your job at all times.
- To train Guest Service Engineers 2 & 3, and other associates, as and when required.
In return we offer you a competitive salary along with unlimited career opportunities, benefits (including: uniform, complimentary laundry, free meals on duty, discounted hotels across the Marriott International Group, 50% discount in One Square Restaurant and wellbeing initiatives, dental and optical plans), and an environment where your development is our priority. Key Tasks:
Your Job and, the Law:
- Demonstrate initiative at all times.
- Prioritise work schedules in accordance to guest needs.
- Carry out routine lamping each shift and ensure all in working order.
- Response times for lamp requests must be within 20 minutes.
- To check frequently, Quick Call requests in Maximo and complete guest issues within 30 minutes.
- To attend to guest requests (via phone) within 20 minutes, advising guest and Duty Manager if unable to resolve.
- All Planned Maintenance Work Orders are to be taken from the Maximo System daily as necessary; they will be carried out effectively and efficiently; and signed off on Maximo on completion.
- All work carried out will be inputted into the Maximo system, and a list of reports are to be printed and passed to Assistant C/E daily.
- All tasks that occur throughout the shift are the responsibility of the Duty Engineer.
- Room occupancies are to be checked to enable maximum coverage of jobs in Maximo.
- A handover is to occur each shift identifying all outstanding work.
- Complete all work orders as required in a timely fashion.
- Carry out daily inspection of all plant, identifying issues and rectifying as quickly as possible.
- Ensure that adequate protection is in place whilst carrying out all works, leaving areas clean and tidy on task completion.
- All stock areas will be maintained in a systematic and tidy condition at all times; new stock stored as required in the correct location; and adequate notice given to Ass C/E for re-ordering purposes.
- Your work area will be kept clean and tidy at all times.
- To carry out other duties and tasks assigned by the Assistant C/E or C/E in accordance with the business.
- Assist other engineers as and when required.
- Assist and direct contractors as required.
- Carry out project related works as and when necessary.
- As and when applicable, train apprentice(s) as per Ass C/E requirements.
- All work schedules, repairs, training, etc. must be logged in the Maximo system.
Your Blueprint for success:
- To comply with all health & safety policies and fire regulations, ensuring documentation is up to date.
- Ensure daily checks on fire, and health and safety equipment are carried out as per programme.
- Ensure weekly fire tests are carried out in hotel and spa.
- Ensure all work practices adhere to company and statutory legislation with due diligence at all times.
- The Permit to Work system will be adhered to at all times.
- To be aware of all Health, Safety and Fire regulations and to abide by their terms.
- To demonstrate proper and safe usage of all equipment.
- To maintain high standards of personal hygiene at all times and be immaculately presented at all times.
- To ensure that the full uniform is worn at all times, including name badge, and the correct safety attire is used for appropriate jobs.
- To report any incidents/accidents to the Duty Manager.
In this role you will impact the company strategy as follows:
- Daily data collection and reporting of issues as they arise.
- Completion of Six Sigma training and participation in quality initiatives.
- Support and participate in departmental objectives.
- Carry out required training to other engineers within the department, and to other associates throughout the hotel in relation to engineering functions.
- Completion of annual ASI survey.
- Knowledge of and compliance with Starwood EAME minimum standards.
- Diligence in prevention of wastage.
- Attendance at relevant training courses is compulsory, including thorough support of all departmental training.
- Be contactable at all times by carrying a pager and radio, and responding promptly at all times.
- Carry out assigned duties in respect of fire fighting, fire protection and safety, and be familiar with fire fighting equipment.
Specific Job Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ensure full liaison with other members of the department.
- Strong communication with other departments, projecting a positive, helpful, friendly and professional image at all times.
- Work as a team with all members of the department, to ensure hotel objectives are met.
- Assistance and teamwork with contractors who are on site.
- Project a pleasant, positive and professional image at all times.
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Must be able to speak, read, write and understand English.
- Requires good communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Must have good knowledge of all types of mechanical equipment such as chillers, boilers, water treatment, and refrigeration equipment, and how to respond.
- Must have good knowledge of plumbing and electrical systems, power, water and gas supplies.
- Computer skills would be advantageous.
- Working knowledge of occupational safety and health.
- The worker may be subject to various hazards: includes a variety of physical conditions, such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, electricity, working on scaffolding and high places, exposure to high heat or exposure to chemicals. Appropriate safety techniques and equipment to be used at all times.
- Requires manual dexterity to use and operate all necessary equipment, including computer keyboards. Able to perform 'hands-on' work.
The person must have at least 3 years experience within in a major hotel, hospital, or similar building in any of the following trades: electrical, plumbing, heating and ventilation.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive, people-first culture. We are committed to non-discrimination on any protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any other basis covered under applicable law.