Job Description For Senior Director, Group Distribution Strategy
Job Number 22128930
Job Category Sales & Marketing
Location Marriott International HQ, 7750 Wisconsin Avenue, Bethesda, Maryland, United States VIEW ON MAP
Located Remotely? N
Position Type Management
The global distribution landscape in the lodging industry continues to expand and become more complex, and Marriott International recognizes the importance of the continued development and execution of a comprehensive channel distribution strategy. The Distribution team is charged with delivering long-term profitability to hotels and owners by generating demand and optimizing returns across owned and direct, and third-party customer facing channels. The team identifies, develops, and deploys the means to drive customers to Marriott's lowest-cost owned and direct channels (marriott.com, voice, mobile, etc.) while cultivating and optimizing the relationships with all third-party channels, including groups & meetings, OTAs, Metasearch, wholesalers, TMC, and travel agencies.
As a key team leader of Marriott International's Distribution team, the Senior Director, Group Distribution Strategy, reports to the Vice President, Group and Transient Distribution Strategy and Activation. This position is responsible for developing and implementing Marriott's distribution strategy for the Groups & Meetings segment. Working in close collaboration with key stakeholders in Global Sales, Continents, Revenue Management, Digital, IT, and Owner + Franchise Services, this position will define Marriott's approach to drive group demand, strengthen the value proposition for direct channels, and address group intermediation cost and growth.
The Senior. Director, Group Distribution Strategy will lead a team responsible for formulating a product vision, setting the strategy & roadmap, and managing the performance of Marriott's direct channel Shop + Book products (e.g., Marriott.com RFP and QuickGroup) and Group Housing Solutions (e.g., ResLink and Rooming List), which cumulatively generate over $6B in revenue. This role also will lead Marriott's strategy and management of existing and emerging third-party digital/technology players who play an active role in the group segment (e.g., Groups360, Cvent). He or she will lead the negotiation governance process for Group intermediary contracts and will help define and build support for the objectives, strategy, and options for all intermediary agreements in the group segment. This role also will be an active contributor to Marriott's efforts to define the benefits provided to group customers, and will drive any changes to direct channel benefits and advantages.
This leader will develop detailed quantitative and qualitative analyses, create compelling materials to describe and build support for findings and recommendations, and present these materials to key leaders across Marriott International. This is a critical role that is central to Marriott's efforts to address the changing dynamics in the group distribution channel landscape and ensure that long-term profitability in the Groups & Meetings segment is achieved.
Education and Experience
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES Leading the Group and Meetings channel Distribution strategy and managing key account relationships.
- Bachelor's degree required; Graduate degree preferred.
- 8+ years' work experience, with at least five years of relevant work experience is required.
- Demonstrated ability to manage, develop, and motivate a talented team is required.
- Proven track record of strategy formulation, delivery and results is required. Consulting or similar experience with development and implementation of transformational strategies, particularly in the hospitality industry, is desired.
- Experience with strategy development, distribution issues in the group & meetings segment, relationship/account management, and emerging solutions and technologies is required.
- Demonstrated ability to take complex projects from conception to successful execution, leverage creative problem solving and provide overall value analysis throughout is required.
- Experience in planning and preparing teams for complex partner negotiations is preferred, particularly with group partners in the hospitality space.
- Solid project management, organizational and process skills are required. Demonstrated ability to manage multiple complex projects without losing focus on priorities is required.
- Demonstrated ability to work well within all levels of the organization, especially internal and external senior management, to build support for strategies and deliver results is required.
Managing Projects and Priorities
- Owns and executes on the distribution strategy for the groups & meetings channel, including development of the strategy, continual updates and refinement, definition and ownership of initiatives, communication and advocacy of the strategy, and participation as a subject-matter expert on related projects and company efforts.
- Formulates a product vision, sets the strategy & roadmap, and manages the performance of Marriott's direct channel Shop + Book products (e.g., Marriott.com RFP and QuickGroup) and Group Housing Solutions (e.g., ResLink and Rooming List).
- Manages the primary Group channel accounts including, but not limited to, Groups360 and Cvent. Provides full suite of account management services, including relationship management, issue resolution, strategic planning, and support for contract negotiations.
- Establishes and enforces global group channel standards including guidelines for third-party participation and compensation.
- Leads the negotiation preparation process for group intermediary agreements, including developing frameworks, aligning leaders on objectives, and preparing alternatives and mitigation plans.
- Communicates the group distribution strategy to senior-level internal and external stakeholder groups, including Marriott leadership, owners, and customers. Actively participates in forums to discuss group distribution trends, including owner and customer advisory councils and industry organizations.
- Orchestrates efforts to ideate and develop new solutions in the groups and meetings space to drive customer demand and address group intermediation trends.
- Serves as a subject matter expert on the dynamics and trends in the group intermediation space. Participates in key initiatives across the company related to driving group demand and strengthening relationships with meeting planners and group attendees.
- Participates in the assessment of new third-party businesses, products, and services that support business and strategic objectives. Evaluates and defines key channel and technology investment opportunities.
- Leads project planning and execution relative to initiatives and technical enhancements related to the group distribution strategy to reduce costs, increase sales, and optimize the role of intermediaries.
Managing and Conducting Human Resources Activities
- Develops specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish work for self and direct reports.
- Provides direction and assistance to other teams regarding projects. Determines priorities, schedules, plans and necessary resources to ensure completion of any projects on schedule.
- Analyzes information and evaluates results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
- Thinks creatively and practically to develop, execute, and implement new plans or programs. Generates and provides accurate and timely results in the form of reports, presentations, etc.
- Plans, develops, implements, and evaluates the quality of the teams' operations.
- Provides recommendations to improve the effectiveness of processes or programs.
- Understands and meets the needs of key stakeholders.
- Supports achievement of performance goals, budget goals, team goals, etc.
MANAGEMENT COMPETENCIES Leadership
- Continuously improves department, program, team, and job structures and ensures clear leadership accountabilities are in place.
- Interviews and hires employees.
- Facilitates regular, ongoing communication in department (e.g., staff meetings).
- Sets goals and expectations for direct reports using the performance review process and holds staff accountable for performance goals.
- Solicits employee feedback.
- Conducts annual performance appraisal with direct reports according to Standard Operating Procedures.
- Identifies talents of direct reports and assists with their growth and development plans.
- Performs other reasonable duties as required for the position.
- Communication - Conveys information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner through a variety of methods.
- Leading Through Vision and Values - Keeps the organization's vision and values at the forefront of decision making and action.
- Managing Change - Initiates and/or manages the change process and energizes it on an ongoing basis, taking steps to remove barriers or accelerate its pace; serves as role model for how to handle change by maintaining composure and performance level under pressure or when experiencing challenges.
- Problem Solving and Decision Making - Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; obtains and compares information from different sources to draw conclusions, develops and evaluates alternatives and solutions, solves problems, and chooses a course of action.
- Professional Demeanor - Exhibits behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
- Strategy Development - Develops business plans by exploring and systematically evaluating opportunities with the greatest potential for producing positive results; ensures successful preparation and execution of business plans through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
- Building a Successful Team -Communicates clear expectations about how teams and individuals contribute to success; considers associates' strengths and team dynamics when assigning work; coaches and holds others accountable for establishing team - building strategies and encouraging cooperation; recognizes achievements that support department and team success.
- Strategy Execution - Ensures successful execution across of business plans designed to maximize customer satisfaction, profitability, and market share through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
- Driving for Results - Sets high standards of performance for self and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively takes action and goes beyond what is required.
- Planning and Organizing - Gathers information and resources required to set a plan of action for self and/or others; prioritizes and arranges work requirements to accomplish goals and ensure work is completed.
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability
- Coworker Relationships - Interacts with others in a way that builds openness, trust, and confidence in the pursuit of organizational goals and lasting relationships.
- Customer Relationships - Develops and sustains relationships based on an understanding of customer/stakeholder needs and actions consistent with the company's service standards.
- Strategic Partnerships - Develops collaborative relationships with fellow employees and business partners by making them feel valued, appreciated, and included; explores partnership opportunities with other people in and outside the organization; influences and leverages corporate and continental shared services and/or discipline leaders to achieve objectives; maintains effective external relations with government, business and industry; performs effectively as a liaison between locations, disciplines, and corporate to ensure needed resources are received and corporate strategies are understood and executed.
Learning and Applying Professional Expertise
- Organizational Capability - Evaluates and adapts the structure of assignments and work processes to best fit the needs and/or support the goals of an organizational unit.
- Talent Management - Provides support and feedback to help individuals develop and strengthen skills and abilities needed to accomplish work objectives.
- Business Acumen - Understands and utilizes business information to manage everyday operations and generate innovative solutions to approach business and administrative challenges.
- Continuous Learning - Actively identifies new areas for learning; regularly creates and takes advantage of learning opportunities; uses newly gained knowledge and skill on the job and learns through their application.
- Strategy Knowledge - Understanding and utilizing professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific strategic work challenges.
- Basic Competencies - Fundamental competencies required for accomplishing basic work activities.
- Basic Computer Skills - Uses basic computer hardware and software (e.g., personal computers, word processing software, Internet browsers, etc.).
- Mathematical Reasoning - Adds, subtracts, multiplies, or divides quickly, correctly, and in a way that allows one to solve work-related issues.
- Oral Comprehension - Listens to and understands information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Reading Comprehension - Understands written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Writing - Communicates effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
This position requires proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment, subject to applicable law. If you are offered employment, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation request is received and approved.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive, people-first culture. We are committed to non-discrimination on any protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any other basis covered under applicable law.
Marriott International is the world's largest hotel company, with more brands, more hotels and more opportunities for associates to grow and succeed. We believe a great career is a journey of discovery and exploration. So, we ask, where will your journey take you?