Hotels & Resorts
IT and Computers
Bethesda, United States
Job Role :
Assistant Chief Engineer
Validate Through :
Salary Range (monthly):
USD 1 to 2,000
Salary Description: Competetive Salary Offered
Job Description For Senior Software Engineer - Data Privacy and Governance Platforms
Job Number 22196680
Job Category Information Technology
Location Marriott International HQ, 7750 Wisconsin Avenue, Bethesda, Maryland, United States VIEW ON MAP
Located Remotely? Y
Position Type Management
Marriott has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Software Engineer on the Data Privacy and Governance team. This role is part of the team focused on building out our cloud-based data privacy platform. Appropriate candidates have a passion for data, data privacy, and emerging technologies with a vision for building next generation capabilities and a strong drive for success.
In this role you will function as a technical expert and lead software engineers for the privacy engineering team. You will perform research, analysis, design, and development on a wide range of next generation data capabilities and products. You will set technical standards and develop reusable frameworks to ensure consistent and efficient creation of data capabilities and products.
You will assume technical ownership of Service Provider deliverables and lead their technical resources to ensure deliverables are of high quality, follow our technical standards & best practices and perform at scale. In addition, you will research emerging technologies that will provide future capabilities as well as seek solutions for complex technical issues. You will make decisions on complex, non-routine requests to support analytics based decisioning by Marriott business teams.
Interested candidates should be self-starters and have a strong curiosity and passion for both data and data technologies.
Education and Experience
- 5+ years' hands on experience developing applications at enterprise scale
- 3+ years' technical delivery ownership of large-scale data pipelines and applications
- 3+ years' experience developing data applications using one or more of the following: AWS, Apache NiFi, Hive, HiveQL, Spark, S3, Lambda
- Strong technical leader with proven ability to lead Service Provider technical resources
- Strong communication skills
- Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or equivalent experience/certification
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES Technical Leadership
- AWS Solutions Architect or Developer certification
- Technology certifications in Spark, Snowflake
- AWS Data Analytics certification
- Experience with Airflow, Python, Java, Scalar
- Experience with Data Governance Tools such as Informatica Enterprise Data Catalog
- Experience with NoSQL databases, preferably Cassandra
- Experience in agile software methodologies
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate future data platform opportunities
- Graduate degree in Computer Science or Engineering
- Trains and/or mentors other team members, and peers as appropriate
- Ability to work liaising with multiple teams to steer projects from inception to successful delivery
- Provides financial input on department or project budgets, capital expenditures or other cost/resource estimates as requested
- Identifies opportunities to enhance the service delivery processes.
- Performs complex quantitative and qualitative analyses for service delivery processes and projects.
- Facilitates achievement of expected deliverables and obligations of Services Providers
- Validates completeness of requirements prior to Service Provider solutioning
- Ensures all projects follow the defined development and business case processes
- Ensures proper coordination with appropriate IT and vendor relations teams
- Provides consultation for routine and complex systems development
- Ensures early warning to the business stakeholder executives regarding degraded or missed service levels
- Coordinates with Application Delivery and Infrastructure teams for deployment and production support activities
Service Provider Management
- Follows all defined IT standards and processes (i.e. IT Governance, SM&G, Architecture, etc.), and provides input for improvements to the appropriate process owners as needed
- Maintains a proper balance between business and operational risk
- Ability to assess when risks need to be escalated to right channels.
- Follows the defined project management standards and processes
MANAGEMENT COMPETENCIES Leadership
- Validates that Service Providers develop and manage respective aspects of a project plan, including schedules, deliverables, and appropriate metrics.
- Makes short term plans for the team to effectively utilize resources
- Monitors Service Provider outcomes
- Reviews estimates of work effort for client project provided by Service Providers for accuracy
- Facilitates timely resolution of service delivery problems and minimizes the impact to clients
- Communication - Conveys information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner through a variety of methods.
- Leading Through Vision and Values -Keeps the organization's vision and values at the forefront of employee decision making and action.
- Managing Change - Initiates and/or manages the change process and energizes it on an ongoing basis, taking steps to remove barriers or accelerate its pace; serves as role model for how to handle change by maintaining composure and performance level under pressure or when experiencing challenges.
- Problem Solving and Decision Making - Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; obtains and compares information from different sources to draw conclusions, develops and evaluates alternatives and solutions, solves problems, and chooses a course of action.
- Professional Demeanor - Exhibits behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
- Strategy Development - Develops business plans by exploring and systematically evaluating opportunities with the greatest potential for producing positive results; ensures successful preparation and execution of business plans through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
- Building a Successful Team - Uses an effective interpersonal style to build a cohesive team; inspires and sustains team cohesion and engagement by focusing the team on its mission and importance to the organization.
- Strategy Execution - Ensures successful execution across of business plans designed to maximize customer satisfaction, profitability, and market share through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
- Driving for Results - Sets high standards of performance for self and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively takes action and goes beyond what is required.
- Customer Relationships - Develops and sustains relationships based on an understanding of customer/stakeholder needs and actions consistent with the company's service standards.
- Global Mindset - Supports employees and business partners with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes differences to drive innovation, engagement and enhance business results; and ensures employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability
- Strategic Partnerships - Develops collaborative relationships with fellow employees and business partners by making them feel valued, appreciated, and included; explores partnership opportunities with other people in and outside the organization; influences and leverages corporate and continental shared services and/or discipline leaders (e.g., HR, Sales & Marketing, Finance, Revenue Management) to achieve objectives; maintains effective external relations with government, business and industry in respective countries; performs effectively as a liaison between locations, disciplines, and corporate to ensure needed resources are received and corporate strategies are understood and executed.
- Developing Others - Supports the development of other's skills and capabilities so that they can fulfill current or future job/role responsibilities more effectively.
Learning and Applying Professional Expertise
- Organizational Capability - Evaluates and adapts the structure of assignments and work processes to best fit the needs and/or support the goals of an organizational unit.
- Continuous Learning - Actively identifies new areas for learning; regularly creates and takes advantage of learning opportunities; uses newly gained knowledge and skill on the job and learns through their application.
- Technical Acumen - Understanding and utilizing professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage everyday business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific work challenges
- Technical Intelligence: Knowledge and ability to define and apply appropriate technology to enhance business process
- Development Methodologies: Knowledge of general stages of SDLC framework and the application tiers within the development space.
- Information Security: Knowledge of the security considerations relevant within the development space, including industry best practices related to information security
- Business Acumen - Understands and utilizes business information to manage everyday operations and generate innovative solutions to approach business and administrative challenges.
- Basic Competencies - Fundamental competencies required for accomplishing basic work activities.
- Basic Computer Skills - Using basic computer hardware and software (e.g., personal computers, word processing software, Internet browsers, etc.).
- Mathematical Reasoning - The ability to add, subtract, multiply, or divide quickly, correctly, and in a way that allows one to solve work-related issues.
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive, people-first culture. We are committed to non-discrimination on any protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any other basis covered under applicable law.
Marriott International is the world's largest hotel company, with more brands, more hotels and more opportunities for associates to grow and succeed. We believe a great career is a journey of discovery and exploration. So, we ask, where will your journey take you?