Accor’s 2011 Professional Challenge Awards
65 talented young people competing, selected in 21 countries, narrowed down to 8 finalists!
Organized every year by Accor's Human Resources Management Team, this Professional Challenge encourages young Group employees, whether already working or on apprenticeship contracts, to compete in one of two age categories: 18/22 or 23/26. Selected in their region, then on the national level in their country, the final winners are chosen by a jury made up of hotel directors and managers in timed on-the job challenges in their discipline: reception, table service, cookery and bar service – the hotel trade's four main professions.
As Evelyne Chabrot, Accor SVP Human Resources Hospitality Operations, pointed out, "the hotel industry is one of those rare sectors where beginners can aim for the sky in terms of professional success. By creating this in-house challenge, we wanted to build up a reservoir of high-potential employees, recognize talent, retain promising young professionals and reward the spirit of conquest, a taste for performance and a feeling for innovation, the founding values of our Group. It is also a fine human adventure that fosters great many friendships between our employees!"
On the occasion of this 9th Challenge, 65 young people from 21 countries in Europe, the Middle East and Africa* working in hotels ranging from budget to luxury were able to measure their performance, share their know-how and experience extraordinary moments of both tension and unforgettable enjoyment.
The day after the grand finale, which took place on December 6th at the Lycée des Métiers de l’Hôtellerie Santos Dumont in Saint-Cloud and the Mercure Paris Suffren Tour Eiffel, Denis Hennequin, Chairman & Chief Executive Officer, Yann Caillère, Chief Operating Officer, Antoine Recher, Executive Director Human Resources and Evelyne Chabrot, SVP Human Resources Hospitality Operations, awarded prizes to the eight finalists in this important competition.
2011 Challenge winners
Cookery – 2 sessions:
ü Main course and garnish: «Technical performance and inventiveness: create and produce a unique, personalized recipe from a list of known ingredients"
ü Entry: "Creativity and speed: devise a recipe from the ingredients in a surprise basket"
- 18/22 year old category: Kamil WIERZBOWSKI, Poland, Novotel Warszawa
- 23/26 year old category: Zouheir MOUDRIKA, Morocco, Sofitel Essaouira Mogador Golf & Spa
"Sales and reception: welcoming guests, check-in formalities, presenting the Group's loyalty program as well as the facilities offered by your hotel and responding to concierge demands"
- 18/22 year old category: Michael SKOLL, Austria, Ibis Vienna Schonbrunnerstrasse
- 23/26 year old category: Mark VAN DER HOEK, Netherlands, Pullman Eindhoven Cocagne
"Table setting, service and advice: selecting tableware and setting your table. Welcoming guests, promoting products on the hotel restaurant menu, advising customers on their dining choices"
- 18/22 year old category: Toth BALAZS, Hungary, Mercure Korona Budapest
- 23/26 year old category: Monika KATURA, Poland, Ibis Lodz
"Agility, speed and originality: make a cocktail drawn by lot from among the selection of cocktails proposed by the International Bartender Association, followed by one invented by yourself"
- 18/22 year old category: Rudy VAN DEN BLINK, Netherlands, Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam
- 23/26 year old category: Gabor BRILLA, Hungary, Sofitel Budapest Chain Bridge
* 21 countries took part in the 2011 Challenge: Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, the United Kingdom, Switzerland, the United Arab Emirates, Austria, Poland, France, Hungary, Spain, Morocco, Bahrain, Mauritius, Greece, Togo, Senegal, Nigeria and Portugal.
Accor, the world's leading hotel operator and market leader in Europe, is present in 90 countries with 4,200 hotels and more than 500,000 rooms. Accor's broad portfolio of hotel brands - Sofitel, Pullman, MGallery, Novotel, Suite Novotel, Mercure, Adagio, ibis, all seasons/ibis Styles, Etap Hotel/Formule 1/ibis budget, hotelF1 and Motel 6 - provide an extensive offer from luxury to budget. With 145,000 employees worldwide, the Group offers to its clients and partners nearly 45 years of know-how and expertise.