Chapman Freeborn Air & Relief Flights into Africa
Humanitarian aid flown to Horn of Africa
Chapman Freeborn (http://www.chapman-freeborn.com) Airchartering's worldwide offices are involved in the effort to transport humanitarian relief supplies to help people affected by famine in the Horn of Africa.
In the last ten days the global aircraft charter specialist has overseen the delivery of hundreds of tons of relief cargo from Europe and the Middle East on behalf of charities and international aid agency clients.
Aid cargo has been flown into airports including Nairobi (NBO), Addis Ababa (ADD) and Mogadishu (MGQ) utilising full and part charters on IL-76, B767 and B747 aircraft.
The flights were among the first to reach the region with consignments of biscuits high in protein and energy, as well as kitchen sets and temporary shelter for refugees.
Chapman Freeborn’s Germany office also coordinated a charter on behalf of Humedica, a German-based international aid organisation. Over 30 tons of milk powder and medicines were flown from Munich (MUC) to Nairobi (NBO) on a DC-8 freighter.
The high-profile charter was met by Stephen Kalonzo Musyoka the Vice President of Kenya, who welcomed the crew and assured that the supplies will be distributed quickly to the affected areas.
The worst drought in East Africa in 60 years has affected more than 10 million in Kenya, Ethiopia, Djibouti and Somalia. The UN has already declared a famine in several parts of Somalia - the first in the region this century.
· Nearly every emergency airlift mission in the last 30 plus years has involved Chapman Freeborn chartered aircraft. Major operations have included supporting the response to the Asian Tsunami, earthquakes in Pakistan and Haiti, floods in Burma, and famines in East Africa.
· Chapman Freeborn provides over 6,000 charters a year, in addition to many ACMI, wet and dry aircraft lease arrangements www.chapman-freeborn.com
· Chapman Freeborn was established in 1973. The company has more than 30 offices across 5 continents.
· Chapman Freeborn has been voted Air Cargo Charter Broker of the Year at the ACW World Air Cargo Awards in 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011.
· UK-based subsidiary Wings 24 Ltd provides ACMI sub-charters and outsourced flight operations including flight permits, aircraft fuelling and ground handling. www.wings24.com