Gulf Visitors to enjoy the Best in British Food during Olympics
Largest Ever Peace-Time Catering Operation to Serve14 Million Meals
All Food Sourced to High Environmental, Ethical and Animal Welfare Standards
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Gulf visitors are set to enjoy the best in British food during the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games, with 14 million top-quality meals to be served in the largest peace-time catering operation the world has ever seen.
The London Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games (LOCOG) recently unveiled details of the food and drink that will be served across 40 locations to the millions of spectators and thousands of athletes during the Games this summer.
“Gulf visitors will enjoy an abundance of flavours across the UK, including a multicultural mix of foods and the heritage and diversity of British recipes,” said VisitBritain’s UAE Manager Carol Maddison. “In addition to international cuisine from 195 nations, visitors can feast on traditional favourites such as fish and chips and pie and mash.”
More than 800 spectator concessions featuring at least 150 different types of dishes will feature the great diversity and quality of British food at affordable prices. Gulf visitors will have a chance to indulge in everything from Italian dishes to Indian curries; authentic Asian dishes and African Brai barbecues; Caribbean flavours to delectable Mediterranean dishes and a global spectrum of street foods.
Following London 2012’s commitment to sustainability, the British catering industry has adopted London 2012 Food Vision, in hopes of implementing stronger, more sustainable catering and hospitality standards. Other organisations that have already adopted these standards include the National Trust, London Zoo, 15 London universities, the Metropolitan Police, Transport for London and a multitude of restaurants and caterers that serve well over 100 million meals a year.
- ENDS –
· VisitBritain is Britain's national tourism agency, responsible for marketing Britain worldwide and developing Britain’s visitor economy. A non-departmental public body, funded by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport, we work in partnership with thousands of organisations in the UK and overseas ― the Government, the industry and our strategic partners in London, England, Scotland and Wales ― and seek to ensure that Britain is marketed appropriately around the world.
· Our priority is to deliver a four-year match funded global marketing programme, working with the private sector, which takes advantage of the unique opportunity of the Royal Wedding, the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee and the 2012 Games to showcase Britain and attract new visitors from the tourism growth markets of Asia and Latin America and to reinvigorate our appeal in core markets such as the USA, France and Germany. This campaign aims to attract four million extra visitors to Britain, who will spend an additional £2 billion over the four years.
· We also provide analysis and advice on the issues facing potential visitors, on Britain’s competitive position and the barriers to inbound tourism growth. This is in addition to providing research; market intelligence and analysis to inform the British tourism industry.
VisitBritainShop.com – buy before you fly
· The official shop of the British national tourist authority, VisitBritainShop.com has over 150 products on Britain including travel and transport, sightseeing tours and attraction tickets. A one-stop-shop enabling the planning and purchase of products before arrival, VisitBritainShop.com ensures customers spend their time in Britain enjoying it and not waiting in a queue.
· The VisitBritain shops are made up of 13 local-market websites giving customers the convenience of purchasing in their own currency and language. And with products and discounts exclusive to the international visitor and customer service support in 7 languages, planning a trip to Britain has never been easier.