MARRIOTT INTERNATIONAL GETS READY TO LAUNCH ABU DHABI’S FIRST MARRIOTT HOTEL AND MARRIOTT EXECUTIVE APARTMENTS
Introducing an experienced Executive team to oversee the anticipated Marriott International openings
Abu Dhabi, UAE, 11 May 2016: Marriott International, Inc (NASDAQ: MAR) is gearing up to launch its flagship brand property in Abu Dhabi, Marriott Downtown Abu Dhabi, as well as Marriott Executive Apartments Downtown Abu Dhabi developed by Bloom Properties, under the leadership of the property’s Executive team who will steer the new opening.
Strategically located in the heart of Abu Dhabi, Bloom Central is a 25-storey mixed-use project comprising two blocks. The first consists of the 64-suite Marriott Executive Apartments, 49 Bloom Residences as well as 7,000 square metres of premium office space. The second block is home to the 315-room five-star Marriott Hotel Downtown Abu Dhabi, targeting a mix of business and leisure travellers. While Bloom Residences and offices have already opened their doors to tenants, the Marriott properties are set for completion in summer 2016.
From contemporary guestrooms, state-of-the-art meeting rooms, outstanding culinary offerings to well-equipped wellness facilities, the hotel showcases the Marriott Hotels brand innovation by offering sophisticated design, modern services and amenities that enable the next generation of travelers to ‘Travel Brilliantly’, through every aspect of their stay. Marriott Executive Apartments Downtown Abu Dhabi is targeted at the extended stay market, providing upscale residential living including one, two and three bedrooms providing the space, ambience and privacy of a home away from home.
In May 2015, David Lance was appointed General Manager of the Marriott Hotel and Marriott Executive Apartments Downtown Abu Dhabi. David is a seasoned hospitality professional, with over two decades of international experience. Prior to this role, David was General Manager of Marriott Executive Apartments, Sukhumvit Park in Bangkok, Thailand. Since joining, he has been focused on pulling together a highly skilled and experienced management team to launch and eventually operate these new properties.
Speaking ahead of the hotel’s opening, David said: “We are proud to open the first Marriott Hotel in the capital city, bringing Marriott International’s flagship brand to Abu Dhabi along with the debut of Marriott’s luxury extended stay product. I am fortunate to be supported by an incredibly experienced and diverse team that is united to ensure the hotel lives up to the brand’s promise to reimagine the future of travel, offering a blend of high-tech and high-touch services. We are looking forward to open our doors later this year for guests to experience a combination of sophisticated design and innovation, within Emirati warmth and hospitality.”
The property executive team members include:
· Andrew Dickson, Director of Operations, has over 15 years’ experience in the hospitality industry and joined Marriott in 2008, where he was appointed Director of Operations at Wailea Beach Resort & Spa in Maui, Hawaii. Previous appointments include the role of Resident Manager in 2009 at JW Marriott in Phuket, followed by Director of Operations at the London Marriott Grosvenor Square and then appointed to General Manager in 2013 at Sprowston Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club in the UK. In his new role as Director of Operations, Andrew will be overseeing the entire operational team to ensure a successful opening of the first Marriott Hotel in the capital.
· Nicholas A. Rana, Director of Sales and Marketing, started his career in the sales discipline at the Copenhagen Marriott Hotel in 2003. Marriott Hotel Downtown Abu Dhabi will be Nicholas’ fifth hotel opening with Marriott across five different countries and three distinct Marriott brands. Nicholas will be responsible for Sales & Marketing for both properties and in seeing through the launch of the first Marriott Hotel in the capital.
· Amr Mahmoud, Director of Engineering, has over 18 years’ engineering experience in the hospitality industry and started his career with Marriott in 2006. Prior to this appointment he was Assistant Director of Engineering at the 1,608 room JW Marriott Marquis Dubai. During his career, Amr coordinated numerous projects, renovations and hotel openings and will now in this leadership role oversee the last phase in the completion of the two properties, in addition to being responsible for the upkeep and maintenance.
· Shaun Dean, Multi-Property Director of Revenue, is a hugely experienced revenue leader, responsible for developing and implementing effective commercial sales strategies across the UK region. Shaun began his career in hospitality as a graduate trainee in Paris, France in 1992 and went on to become Marriott’s first UK Director of Group Strategy and Business Evaluation in 2008. As a multi-property Director of Revenue, Shaun will be overseeing 574 keys divided amongst the Courtyard by Marriott, World Trade Center, Abu Dhabi and the Marriott Hotel and Marriott Executive Apartments Downtown Abu Dhabi.
· Asif Ahmed, Multi-Property Director of Finance, has over 18 years of international experience within the GCC. Starting his career with Marriott in 2001, Asif brings strength and depth of finance management expertise to his new role as Multi-Property Director of Finance, overlooking both the new properties as well as the Courtyard by Marriott, World Trade Center, Abu Dhabi.
· Petra Solle, Multi-Property Director of Human Resources, has previously worked as a Human Resources professional across a variety of Marriott hotels in the United Kingdom. Petra brings a strong knowledge of Marriott operations and Human Resources to her new role, having been a part of the pre-opening team of Courtyard by Marriott, World Trade Center, Abu Dhabi as Director of Human Resources, successfully opening the hotel in December 2014.
About Marriott International
Marriott International, Inc. (NASDAQ: MAR) is a global leading lodging company based in Bethesda, Maryland, USA, with nearly 4,500 properties in 87 countries and territories. Marriott International reported revenues of more than $14 billion in fiscal year 2015. The company operates and franchises hotels and licenses vacation ownership resorts under 19 brands, including: The Ritz-Carlton®, Bulgari®, EDITION®, JW Marriott®, Autograph Collection® Hotels, Renaissance® Hotels, Marriott Hotels®, Delta Hotels by MarriottTM, Marriott Executive Apartments®, Marriott Vacation Club®, Gaylord Hotels®, AC Hotels by Marriott®, Courtyard®, Residence Inn®, SpringHill Suites®, Fairfield Inn & Suites®, TownePlace Suites®, Protea Hotels® and Moxy Hotels®. Marriott has been consistently recognized as a top employer and for its superior business ethics. The company also manages the award-winning guest loyalty program, Marriott Rewards® and The Ritz-Carlton Rewards® program, which together comprise more than 56 million members. For more information or reservations, please visit our website at www.marriott.com, and for the latest company news, visit www.marriottnewscenter.com
About Marriott Hotels
With 500 hotels and resorts in nearly 60 countries around the world, Marriott Hotels is evolving travel through every aspect of the guest’s stay, enabling the next generation to Travel Brilliantly. Boldly transforming itself for mobile and global travellers who blend work and play, Marriott leads the industry with innovations, including the Greatroom, Future of Meetings and Mobile Guest Services that elevates style & design and technology. All Marriott hotels participate in the award winning Marriott Rewards frequent travel program that allows members to earn hotel points or airline miles for every dollar spent during each stay. For more information, visit www.MarriottHotels.com.
About Marriott Executive Apartments
Introduced in 1997 to the Marriott International portfolio, Marriott Executive Apartments is the company’s only corporate apartment brand designed to provide upscale residential living. Personalized service and the assurance of a Marriott experience allow guests to achieve what they need to in an environment that has all of the comforts of home. Marriott Executive Apartments provide the space, ambience and privacy of residential living – an apartment with a separate bedroom, technology and work space for productivity, full kitchens, and laundry facilities. There are currently more than 20 properties in more than 15 countries outside of North America.