Mövenpick Hotels & Resorts celebrates major global growth
11 new projects in nine countries reinforce company’s global position
Zurich (Switzerland), 9th February 2012 - Mövenpick Hotels & Resorts is delighted to announce 11 new hotel projects across nine countries bringing the company’s total number of operating and planned hotels worldwide to 100.
The new hotels are in France, Egypt, Tunisia, Morocco, China, Indonesia, Malaysia, Bangladesh and Thailand. The upscale hotel company of Swiss heritage now has 69 hotels in operation and 31 in development of which nine will open this year.
“We have always believed in growth, but at a sustainable pace. In every region from Europe and Africa to the Middle East and Asia we have carefully consolidated our developments to maintain a balanced portfolio distribution that ensures decision-making is effective, resources are efficiently utilised and development is sustainable,” said Jean Gabriel Pérès, president and chief executive officer of Mövenpick Hotels & Resorts.
“A hundred hotels worldwide is a major achievement for our company and I am delighted,” he continues. “Such a landmark is a credit to the hard work of everyone at Mövenpick Hotels & Resorts.
In a challenging economic environment it is vital to have a reliable business model that is stress resistant to constant change, said Jean Gabriel Pérès. “This has been the foundation of our success in recent years and the philosophy that has helped us achieve the milestone of 100 hotel projects in a sustainable way.”
New hotel announcements
• From April 2012, Mövenpick Hotels & Resorts will take over a 298-room upscale Red Sea property in Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt.
• In Morocco the company will reopen a new 380-room hotel in Marrakesh in 2014 following a multi-million-euro renovation this year.
• An architecturally stunning low-rise hotel in the Tunisian desert oasis of Tozeur will be operated under the Mövenpick Hotels & Resorts brand from 2013 following a major refurbishment.
• On the white beach of Djerba island in Tunisia, a 255-room hotel is presently undergoing a multi-million-euro refurbishment before being reopened by Mövenpick Hotels & Resorts next year.
• A new 350-room hotel in Chifeng, Inner Mongolia, China, designed by Hirsch/Bedner & Associates will be opened by the upscale Swiss hospitality company in 2015.
• On Hainan Island, South China, the 380-room Mövenpick Resort & Spa, Phoenix Island, Sanya, will be launched in 2013.
• The 270-room Mövenpick Resort & Spa, Jimbaran, 200 metres from one of Bali’s most popular beaches will be the Swiss company’s first hotel in Indonesia when it opens in 2014.
• In Malaysia, the company’s new 250-room resort will be based on Pantai Pandak Beach on the South China Sea coast and be launched in 2015.
• The company’s entry into Bangladesh will be heralded by the opening of a 280-room resort on the sandy sea front of Cox’s Bazar, the longest beach in the world at 124 km.
• Towards the end of this year, the company will open a 26-villa boutique-style resort, surrounded by lush tropical gardens, in Samoeng, Chiang Mai, Thailand.
• From January 2013, the company will manage its first hotel with 282 rooms in Paris’ exclusive suburb Neuilly.
About Mövenpick Hotels & Resorts:
Mövenpick Hotels & Resorts, an international upscale hotel management company with over 14’000 team members, is represented in 24 countries with 69 hotels and resorts currently in operation. A further 30 properties are planned or already under construction in Ankara, (Turkey), Dubai (four projects – United Arab Emirates); Abu Dhabi (three projects – United Arab Emirates), Shanghai (China), Dharamshala (India).
Focusing on expansion in its core markets of Europe, Africa, the Middle East and Asia, Mövenpick Hotels & Resorts specialises in business and conference hotels, as well as holiday resorts, all reflecting a sense of place and respect for their local communities. Of Swiss heritage and headquartered in Zurich, Mövenpick Hotels & Resorts is passionate about delivering premium service, culinary enjoyment and sustainable environments – all with a personal touch.
The hotel company is owned by the Mövenpick Holding (66.7%) and the Kingdom Group (33.3%). For more information please visit www.moevenpick-hotels.com.