The Olympic Menu – A Celebration of British Food
The Olympic Menu – A Celebration of British Food
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
More than 14 million meals will be served during the Olympic Games, across 40 locations – this is the largest peace time catering operation in the world. It is also a showcase of British produce and food culture. This is reflected in the ingredients used and the dishes served – from fish and chips, the staple of any seaside town to rogan josh, one of the multicultural specialities found in the ‘Curry Mile’ cities in the north of England.
For those seeking sustenance outside of the Park, and keen to sample some of Britain’s best food, fish and chips is a must. London has many ‘chippies’: The Fish Club in Clapham (two locations) serves sustainably caught, fresh fish, with a £7.50 lunch offer that’s hard to beat. There’s nothing like eating your fish at the seaside though, complete with an audience of interested seagulls. Brighton has some good options on the pier, up north in Yorkshire The Magpie Café in Whitby was named ‘the king of fish and chip cafes’ by the Good Food Guide, and Rick Stein’s Fish and Chips in Cornwall is the gourmet choice. Up in Scotland you can sit on a lobster creel at Tobermory Harbour in Mull, and watch the boats bob past as you devour.
Pie and mash is another old fashioned favourite, one that David Beckham named as a recommendation to visitors wanting a slice of the ‘real East London’. He named Tony Lane’s in Waltham Abbey as a favourite – there’s also M.Manze on Tower Bridge Road for jellied eels, and a new opening in Greenwich Town Centre, Goddard’s Pies, run by one of London’s oldest pie and mash families.
The best way to find out about British food is by visiting a farmer’s market or food festival, presenting the diverse range of what’s on offer in one place. There are markets all over Britain; one of the best is Bath, where you’ll find seasonal produce and award-winning cheeses; Bristol’s St Nicholas Market was voted in the top 10 markets in the UK, and the city has a monthly Slow Food market with some of the best sausages in the country. Borough Market in London recently announced its Olympic opening hours, which extend to seven days a week, allowing gourmands to spend more time at one of the capital’s most popular spots.
Food festivals give Brits and visitors the chance to celebrate eating, and there are hundreds throughout the year. Right now EAT! Newcastle Gateshead is taking place, with Cakebook Britain seeing the nation built out of cake(!), coming up is the quirky Garlic Festival on the Isle of Wight, and up in Scotland things get creative in Dumfries and Galloway for Flavour Fortnightwhere August sees a wild food forage in an art gallery and a menu showcasing Robert Burns’s favourite meals. Beyond the summer things get serious with Ludlow Food Festival in Shropshire, the home of Slow Food UK – and Wales’s Abergavenny , of which The Observer Food Monthly declared ‘Abergavenny is to food as Cannes is to film’
- ENDS –
· VisitBritain is Britain's national tourism agency, responsible for marketing Britain worldwide and developing Britain’s visitor economy. A non-departmental public body, funded by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport, we work in partnership with thousands of organisations in the UK and overseas ― the Government, the industry and our strategic partners in London, England, Scotland and Wales ― and seek to ensure that Britain is marketed appropriately around the world.
· Our priority is to deliver a four-year match funded global marketing programme, working with the private sector, which takes advantage of the unique opportunity of the Royal Wedding, the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee and the 2012 Games to showcase Britain and attract new visitors from the tourism growth markets of Asia and Latin America and to reinvigorate our appeal in core markets such as the USA, France and Germany. This campaign aims to attract four million extra visitors to Britain, who will spend an additional £2 billion over the four years.
· We also provide analysis and advice on the issues facing potential visitors, on Britain’s competitive position and the barriers to inbound tourism growth. This is in addition to providing research; market intelligence and analysis to inform the British tourism industry.
The Mx Great Britain app and VisitBritain’s Digital Strategy
· The Mx Great Britain app is available to download for free on all major mobile platforms at www.mobiexplore.com/visitbritain. Where free Wi-Fi is not available, the app can be used in offline mode to help save on any roaming charges. It also helps users find the nearest free Wi-Fi hotspot.
· VisitBritain’s digital strategy is built to inspire international travellers and motivate them to travel to Britain. During the summer of 2012 Britain’s national tourist office will continue to build innovative and engaging ways to explore the amazing range of content created in a wide-variety of different media types such as imagery and video.
VisitBritainShop.com – buy before you fly
· The official shop of the British national tourist authority, VisitBritainShop.com has over 150 products on Britain including travel and transport, sightseeing tours and attraction tickets. A one-stop-shop enabling the planning and purchase of products before arrival, VisitBritainShop.com ensures customers spend their time in Britain enjoying it and not waiting in a queue.
· The VisitBritain shops are made up of 13 local-market websites giving customers the convenience of purchasing in their own currency and language. And with products and discounts exclusive to the international visitor and customer service support in 7 languages, planning a trip to Britain has never been easier.
London Travel Products from the VisitorShop – buy before you fly
· VisitBritain are the official international provider of the Visitor Oyster Card and London Travelcard. They are responsible for the Transport for London VisitorShop – dedicated to providing customers worldwide with all their London travel products. With customer service support and shipping to 58 countries worldwide, the VisitorShop ensures customers are able to make the most of their time in London.