TripAdvisor Announces Winter Vacation Hotspots and Values
Vacation Value Report Reveals Average Rates for Hotels, Flights, Meals and Tours in Most Searched Winter Destinations
Least Expensive Weeks to Visit and Great Values to Book Also Uncovered
NEEDHAM, Mass., Jan. 06, 2016 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- TripAdvisor®, the world’s largest travel site*, today announced its Winter Vacation Value Report, revealing the top 10 destinations for U.S. travelers this winter (January 1 – March 31, 2016), along with the average one-week costs for hotels, airfare, meals and activities. The report helps travelers discover winter savings at these destinations, by highlighting the least expensive week to visit, as well as highly-rated value hotels and tours for must-see attractions that are bookable on TripAdvisor. According to a recent TripAdvisor survey, more than 65 percent of U.S. respondents are currently planning a leisure trip for this winter.
“It appears many U.S. travelers are already planning their respite from a cold winter, as the majority of the most popular destinations for winter trips are in warm-weather locales,” said Brooke Ferencsik, director of communications for TripAdvisor. “Travelers looking for the most favorable winter rates should book for January, as it’s the sweet spot for travel value between the busy December holidays and spring break.”
Top 10 Winter Destinations and Average Trips Costs
|Destination||Avg. Nightly Hotel Rate||Avg. Domestic US Roundtrip|
|Avg. Meal Cost||Avg. Tour Cost||Avg. Cost of a |
One-Week Winter Trip
|1.||Las Vegas, Nevada||$||163||$||369||$||31||$||75||$||2,302|
|4.||Punta Cana, Dominican Republic||$||431||$||571||$||25||$||95||$||4,312|
|5.||Key West, Florida||$||476||$||497||$||18||$||52||$||4,308|
|6.||New York City, New York||$||264||$||315||$||32||$||58||$||2,942|
|7.||Playa del Carmen, Mexico||$||309||$||494||$||16||$||101||$||3,186|
|8.||Cabo San Lucas, Mexico||$||363||$||542||$||19||$||83||$||3,637|
|9.||Fort Lauderdale, Florida||$||242||$||336||$||27||$||37||$||2,667|
|10.||New Orleans, Louisiana||$||227||$||379||$||24||$||39||$||2,591|
When and Where to Book for Winter Value
1. Las Vegas, Nevada
Least Expensive Winter Week to Visit: January 25 - 31: $1,803
- Value Hotel: Desert Rose Resort – $174 avg. rate, when booking on TripAdvisor
- Must-See Attraction: Grand Canyon South Rim Bus Tour – $80 starting rate, when booking via TripAdvisor
2. Cancun, Mexico
Least Expensive Winter Week to Visit: January 18 - 24: $2,373
- Value Hotel: Hotel & Suites Nader – $91 avg. rate, when booking on TripAdvisor
- Must-See Attraction: Chichen Itza Day Trip – $70 starting rate when booking via TripAdvisor
3. Orlando, Florida
Least Expensive Winter Week to Visit: January 25 - 31: $1,868
- Value Hotel: The Point Orlando Resort – $134 avg. rate, when booking on TripAdvisor
- Must-See Attraction: Florida Everglades Airboat Tour – $45 starting rate, when booking via TripAdvisor
4. Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
Least Expensive Winter Week to Visit: March 28 – April 3: $3,791
- Value Hotel: Luxury Bahia Principe Esmerelda Don Pablo Collection – $399 avg. rate, when booking on TripAdvisor
- Must-See Attraction: Santo Domingo Sightseeing Tour – $84 starting rate, when booking via TripAdvisor
5. Key West, Florida
Least Expensive Winter Week to Visit: January 18 - 24: $3,684
- Value Hotel: Eden House – $382 avg. rate, when booking on TripAdvisor
- Must-See Attraction: Key West Hop-On Hop-Off Trolley Tour – $30 starting rate, when booking via TripAdvisor
6. New York City, New York
Least Expensive Winter Week to Visit: January 25 - 31: $2,470
- Value Hotel: Distrikt Hotel – $219 avg. rate, when booking on TripAdvisor
- Must-See Attraction: Private Central Park Pedicab Tour – $47 starting rate, when booking via TripAdvisor
7. Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Least Expensive Winter Week to Visit: January 18 - 24: $2,792
- Value Hotel: La Tortuga Hotel & Spa – $201 avg. rate, when booking on TripAdvisor
- Must-See Attraction: Mayan Adventure – $86 staring rate, when booking via TripAdvisor
8. Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Least Expensive Winter Week to Visit: January 18 - 24: $3,087
- Value Hotel: The Bungalows Hotel – $180 avg. rate, when booking on TripAdvisor
- Must-See Attraction: Best Los Cabos Reef Snorkeling Cruise – $50 starting rate, when booking via TripAdvisor
9. Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Least Expensive Winter Week to Visit: January 11 - 17: $2,373
- Value Hotel: Premiere Hotel – $167 avg. rate, when booking on TripAdvisor
- Must-See Attraction: Florida Everglades Airboat Adventure – $24 starting rate, when booking via TripAdvisor
10. New Orleans, Louisiana
Least Expensive Winter Week to Visit: January 11 - 17: $2,085
- Value Hotel: Hotel Provincial – $203 avg. rate, when booking on TripAdvisor
- Must-See Attraction: French Quarter Walking Tour – $26 starting rate, when booking via TripAdvisor
Notes to Editors
Most popular destinations for U.S. travelers during the upcoming winter travel period (January 1, 2016 – 31 Mar, 2016) according to TripAdvisor site search data.
All hotel and airfare prices are based on trips departing and returning between January 1 and March 31, 2016. Rates sourced on December 31, 2015.
Average costs to visit the top winter travel destinations are representative of a one-week trip including a seven-night hotel stay, avg. national roundtrip airfare, two tours/activities and three restaurant meals per day.
Avg. Nightly Hotel Rate includes the average cost of a seven night stay in a hotel bookable on TripAdvisor, aggregated from hundreds of booking partners, including online travel agencies and direct hotel suppliers.
Avg. Airfare includes the U.S. national average round-trip airfare to each destination based on searches conducted through TripAdvisor Flights.
Avg. Meal Price includes the average meal cost per person, excluding drinks, tax and tip. Prices are sourced from restaurants listed on TripAdvisor.
Avg. Activity Price includes the average cost per person for two tours/activities available, based on from all bookable single-day tours and activities on TripAdvisor via Viator.
1According to a TripAdvisor survey of more than 1,200 U.S. travelers.
TripAdvisor® is the world's largest travel site*, enabling travelers to plan and book the perfect trip. TripAdvisor offers advice from millions of travelers and a wide variety of travel choices and planning features with seamless links to booking tools that check hundreds of websites to find the best hotel prices. TripAdvisor branded sites make up the largest travel community in the world, reaching 350 million unique monthly visitors**, and more than 290 million reviews and opinions covering 5.3 million accommodations, restaurants and attractions. The sites operate in 47 countries worldwide.
TripAdvisor, Inc. (NASDAQ:TRIP) manages and operates websites under 23 other travel media brands: www.airfarewatchdog.com, www.bookingbuddy.com, www.cruisecritic.com, www.everytrail.com, www.familyvacationcritic.com, www.flipkey.com, www.thefork.com (including www.lafourchette.com, www.eltenedor.com, www.iens.nl, www.besttables.com and www.dimmi.com.au), www.gateguru.com, www.holidaylettings.co.uk, www.holidaywatchdog.com, www.independenttraveler.com, www.jetsetter.com, www.niumba.com, www.onetime.com, www.oyster.com, www.seatguru.com, www.smartertravel.com, www.tingo.com, www.travelpod.com, www.tripbod.com, www.vacationhomerentals.com, www.viator.com, and www.virtualtourist.com.
*Source: comScore Media Metrix for TripAdvisor Sites, worldwide, July 2015
**Source: TripAdvisor log files, average monthly unique users, Q3 2015