UK Tourism Expects Influx of ME Travellers Post-Olympics
Array of Late Summer Deals Attract UAE Families After Games Time
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
UK tourism will get a boost from Middle East travellers after the end of the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games, Dubai-based tourism British officials recently said.
Tourism in Great Britain is worth more than AED 655 billion a year and officials expect that the country will receive 30.7 million visitors, which is broadly in line with 2011. During July and August, the UK is expecting around 6 million overseas visitors. 2011 visitor growth from the UAE, specifically, was up 13 per cent over the same time last year, at 240,000 visitors.
“A vast array of late summer deals are attracting UAE families after Games Time, especially with Eid due to fall on 19 August and Emirates schools not resuming until 9 September, leaving visitors with ample time to enjoy a cooler, summer holiday in the UK,” said Carol Maddison, UAE Manager, VisitBritain, the UK’s national tourism board.
From Shakespeare at Regent’s Park Open Air Theatre to the glamour of the BBC Proms, where the programme is packed with world-renowned musicians, and the incredible atmosphere at Europe’s largest street festival, the Notting Hill Carnival, many attractions are available for the UAE family, whether they seek out culture, history or the modern arts.
Visitors who book between 13 August and 13 September will be offered a multitude of packages from a varied mix of four- and five-star hotels and extended-stay apartments, like three nights for the price of two with Elite Hotels. Families with children can enjoy free stays for the kids at One Aldwych, conveniently located in Covent Garden, in the middle of London.
UAE professionals can kick back and enjoy some well-deserved time off with The Great Getaway sale at the Hilton Hotels, saving up to 40 per cent on bookings made 30 September and can stay until 30 December at participating hotels across London. Visitors can also book two nights at the Millennium Hotel London Mayfair from 15 August until 15 September and get a third night free.
Should Gulf visitors travel to London during the holy month of Ramadan, they can plan on enjoying Iftar breakfast options at hotels like the Rocco Forte, which will offer a Lebanese style menu, created with Middle Eastern traveller in mind.
- ENDS –
· VisitBritain is Britain's national tourism agency, responsible for marketing Britain worldwide and developing Britain’s visitor economy. A non-departmental public body, funded by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport, we work in partnership with thousands of organisations in the UK and overseas ― the Government, the industry and our strategic partners in London, England, Scotland and Wales ― and seek to ensure that Britain is marketed appropriately around the world.
· Our priority is to deliver a four-year match funded global marketing programme, working with the private sector, which takes advantage of the unique opportunity of the Royal Wedding, the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee and the 2012 Games to showcase Britain and attract new visitors from the tourism growth markets of Asia and Latin America and to reinvigorate our appeal in core markets such as the USA, France and Germany. This campaign aims to attract four million extra visitors to Britain, who will spend an additional £2 billion over the four years.
· We also provide analysis and advice on the issues facing potential visitors, on Britain’s competitive position and the barriers to inbound tourism growth. This is in addition to providing research; market intelligence and analysis to inform the British tourism industry.
VisitBritainShop.com – buy before you fly
· The official shop of the British national tourist authority, VisitBritainShop.com has over 150 products on Britain including travel and transport, sightseeing tours and attraction tickets. A one-stop-shop enabling the planning and purchase of products before arrival, VisitBritainShop.com ensures customers spend their time in Britain enjoying it and not waiting in a queue.
· The VisitBritain shops are made up of 13 local-market websites giving customers the convenience of purchasing in their own currency and language. And with products and discounts exclusive to the international visitor and customer service support in 7 languages, planning a trip to Britain has never been easier.
London Travel Products from the VisitorShop – buy before you fly
· VisitBritain are the official international provider of the Visitor Oyster Card and London Travelcard. They are responsible for the Transport for London VisitorShop – dedicated to providing customers worldwide with all their London travel products. With customer service support and shipping to 58 countries worldwide, the VisitorShop ensures customers are able to make the most of their time in London.