Weekend of entertainment at Yas Marina Circuit as Battle of the Brands countdown begins
Fashion, croquet, music and art all feature at GT1 sports car race
Abu Dhabi, 19 March 2011 – Fashion, badminton and croquet will mix with music, yachts and fast cars at the ‘Battle of the Brands’ FIA GT1 World Championship weekend at Yas Marina Circuit on 25-26 March. Race-goers will get a glimpse of Milan Fashion Week at the YASwalk, while the Yas Lawn Championship offers the English countryside pastimes of badminton, croquet and bowls.
Motorsports fans will also have the chance to feel the exhilaration of standing on the winner’s podium in a special red-carpet VIP area, with photographers and crowds looking on. A new attraction called the Yas Labyrinth allows people to visit major celebrity and sporting events around the globe. Another innovation is the Yas Museum, where an artist will be on hand to guide visitors through the style and creativity of some of history’s most renowned artists.
The event marks the opening round of the 2011 FIA GT1 World
Championship series, in which some of the world’s most popular sports cars compete, including the Aston Martin DB9, Corvette Z06, Ford GT, Lamborghini Murciélago RS-V and Nissan GT-R.
Peter Rae, Yas Marina Circuit Communications Director, commented: “There will be a wide choice of things to see and do at Yas Marina Circuit over the FIA GT1 World Championship weekend. The on-track action will be some of the closest and most exciting on offer this year, and off-track we want to provide new attractions for all the family.
“We aim to have something for everyone, including music, dance shows and children’s activities, against the backdrop of all the luxury yachts in the marina for the Abu Dhabi Yacht Show. We hope people will come down to Yas, support their favourite car brand on track and experience all the additional entertainment on offer.”
FIA GTI World Championship Entertainment Line-up
• Fashion Week - Reflecting the spirit of Paris, Milan and London, fashion week will now take place at Yas Marina Circuit. Children and adults will have the opportunity to design and create their own t-shirts, caps and bags. Original designs can them be modelled on the YASwalk, with prizes awarded to the best model.
• Esquire Lounge - The ultimate in ‘lad pad’ luxury is coming to Yas Marina Circuit. The area will be designed with all the needs of the contemporary gentleman in mind, with Playstations, TVs, pool tables and a chill-out area to catch up on the latest newspapers and magazines.
• Ladies’ Sanctuary - The ladies’ sanctuary will be a haven for a little peace and quiet in between the excitement on the track. Activities include henna and gem body art and the opportunity for a makeover with professional makeup artists. Rounding out the experience, female visitors can relax with the latest fashion and social magazines.
• Yas Labyrinth - The maze will be specially designed to reflect the theme of the weekend, showcasing the hottest, most iconic events and places in the world. Spectators will be taken on a journey around the globe to some of the most glamorous places to see and be seen in. Spectators will walk from Fifth Avenue in Manhattan, to Wimbledon, to the Hamptons and even appear at the Oscars, all in the Yas Labyrinth.
• Fete De Musique - A bandstand will be placed in the centre of the vending area. Shifting from the traditional stage set-up, a circular platform will be constructed surrounded by a chill-out area. Spectators will be able to sit and relax on beanbags whilst watching world-class music performances. Abu Dhabi’s big band will be providing an array of music from jazz to big band, hits from the “Rat Pack” era and modern music to keep everyone grooving. Special dance performances will also take place on stage.
• Yas Museum - A Yas Art Museum will launch during the FIA GT1 World Championship weekend, taking inspiration from the Louvre, Guggleheim and MOMA. An interactive initiative, the walls will be bare to start with and over the course of the weekend spectators will be asked to help create special pieces to complete the museum. There will be three areas to the art museum, dedicated to Jackson Pollock, Andy Warhol and Pablo Picasso. An artist will provide guidance about the style and then everyone can get involved in the colour and creativity that is synonymous with the renowned artists.
• Yas Lawn Championships - The Yas Lawn will be one of the highlights of the vending area. The Yas Lawn will feature a range of competition games including badminton, croquet and bowls for all to participate in. The area will have an English countryside feel, underscoring the atmosphere of classic English sporting tournaments such as Wimbledon, Polo in the Park and cricket at Lords.
• The Red Carpet – Creating a VIP feel, a red carpet will be unrolled in the vending area leading to a replica podium, giving motorsport fans the chance to stand with the trophy and experience the excitement of being a race champion. For one weekend only the podium will have a distinctly Hollywood flavour, surrounded by paparazzi cut outs to ensure every attendee feels like a star as they mount the podium.
• The Kid’s Mansion – At the mansion, the Kids Library will provide the opportunity for children to draw and sketch with a range of art materials, and explore a plethora of books suitable for children of all ages. For the first time, there will be a chill-out area dedicated solely for children and featuring a range of cartoons and child-friendly programmes.
• Caricaturist - Visitors will have the opportunity to be sketched as their favourite movie star, singer or fashion icon, leaving with a nice memento of the weekend.
• The Yas Stars – Watch out for the “Yas Stars” as they walk around the event, entertaining as they go.
The FIA GT1 World Championship runs from 25-26 March at Yas Marina Circuit. Tickets are on sale now at www.yasmarinacircuit.com or by calling 800 YAS (927). Prices start at AED 50, with children aged 12 and under free of charge.
- ENDS –
About Yas Marina Circuit
Yas Marina Circuit is one of the most technologically advanced motor racing facilities ever developed. Located on Yas Island, the circuit debuted on 30 October 2009 with the final race of the FIA Formula One World Championship - the inaugural Formula 1™ Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - to a capacity crowd of around 50,000. Year round, Yas Marina Circuit hosts an extensive programme of leading international and national motorsport racing series as well as major entertainment events and corporate activities. Supplementary facilities include the Yas Drag Racing Centre, the Yas Racing School and the Yas Kartzone.