Installs, maintains, and repairs pipes and fixtures associated with heating, cooling, water distribution, and sanitation systems in commercial structures. Fixes Inspects drainage and other plumbing systems for compliance with local authority regulations.
General Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintains and repairs general plumbing components to include toilets, urinals, faucets, hose bibs, and drains.
- Interprets blueprints and building specifications to map layout for pipes, drainage systems, and other plumbing materials
- Installs supports for pipes, equipment, and fixtures prior to installation
- Assembles fittings and valves for installation
- Modifies length of pipes, fixtures, and other plumbing materials as needed for a building
- Uses saws and pipe cutters as necessary
- Installs water heaters
- Collaborates with contractors, construction workers, electricians, pipefitters, and steamfitters in installing and repairing plumbing
- Tests plumbing systems for leaks and other problems
- Analysis’s problem and identifies appropriate tools and materials for repair
- Chooses plumbing materials based on budget, location, and intended uses of building
- Follows health and safety standards and complies with building codes
- Writes report documenting the problem and summary of actions taken
- Performs inspections of plumbing systems to identify and replace worn parts
- Prepares bids and schedules and oversees other workers, such as apprentices and helpers
- Installs, repairs, or replaces domestic hot and cold-water lines.
- Repairs and replaces steam to hot water exchangers for major building heating systems and pools.
- Repairs and replaces domestic hot water heat pumps, sump pumps, and sewage pumps.
- Leads troubleshooting efforts and repairs steam, water, and gas distribution systems.
- Ensures proper care in the use and maintenance of equipment and supplies; promotes continuous improvement of workplace safety and environmental practices.
- Provides sketches and dimensions used by drafters to create plans for subcontractor work.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Plumber Job Skills and Qualifications:
Collaborative, Problem-Solving and Analytical Skills, Decision-Making Ability, Good Listening Skills, Strong Verbal Communication, Stress- and Time-Management Skills, Customer-Service and Interpersonal Skills, Mechanical and Technical Skills, Physical Stamina and Strength, Excellent Trouble-Shooting Ability.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Plumbing installation, maintenance, and repair skills.
- Knowledge of steam, water, and natural gas distribution systems maintenance and repair.
- Ability to use hand and power tools applicable to trade.
- Ability to lead others in troubleshooting and emergency repairs.
- Ability to develop and implement planned maintenance programs.
- Ability to read, understand, and follows safety procedures.