Journey to Tomorrow: IHG Hotels & Resorts Publishes Commitments to Drive Change for People, Communities and the Plan
A decade of action announced as new insights reveal that consumers overwhelmingly want to choose hotels that operate in the right way
IHG Hotels Resorts, one of the worlds leading hotel companies, haslaunchedJourney toTomorrow, a series ofambitiousnew commitmentstomake a positive difference for our people, communities and planet.The company has announced adecade of action as new insights reveal that consumers overwhelmingly want to choose hotels that operate in the right way.
Guided byIHG'spurpose to provide True Hospitality for Good,IHGwill work sidebyside with those who stay, work and partner withthe company, to helpshapethefuture of responsible travelsupportingcolleaguesand makinga positive difference tolocal communities while preservingthe planets beauty and diversitylong into the future.
Doing what's right, not just whats needed
Inan open letterpublished,IHG's CEO,Keith Barr,saidthatthe global response to Covid-19 has shown what can be achieved when organisations bring together expertise, resources and compassion for the greater good.
He said:"Journey toTomorrow embodiesIHGs strengthenedcommitmentto make sure we do whats right, not just whats needed.We want every IHG stakeholderto see that we're on a journey to be successful in every sense of the word, and weare determinedto contribute towards positive social and economic change,tostand up forkey issues such as diversity, equityandinclusion,and human rights,andtomake more responsibleenvironmentalchoices."
"I believe that how we grow as a company andwork to beagreaterforce for good are inextricably linked. So, we are empowering our colleagues,andworkingtogetherwith ourhotelowners andourindustry tohelpshape the future of responsible travel. Its never been more crucial that we do."
A commitmentshared the worldover
Each of the ambitions and commitments in IHGs Journey to Tomorrow plan is rooted in an understanding of what is most important to colleagues, guests, hotel owners and investors when it comes tooperating thoughtfully and growing sustainably.Formed througha comprehensive assessment process involving external experts, stakeholder consultationandindustry collaboration,theplan also contributesto the universal framework of the UN Sustainable Development Goals,which aims to provide a blueprint for a better, more sustainable future for all by 2030.
IHG'scommitment tocollective actionis sharedby consumers around the world.A global studycommissioned by IHGof around 9,000adultsrevealed that:
- Consumers aremore mindful than ever about travellingresponsibly, with82%saying it is important to choose a hotel brand that operatesresponsibly. In fact,research found consumers will spend an average of 31%per nightmore on accommodationthatmeetsthisneed.
- In the space of a year,Covid-19 hasincreased awareness ofresponsible travel more broadly,with60%of people saying thepandemic has made them moresocially andenvironmentallyconscious about their impact on the world when travelling. Thisrises to58%amongtravellers aged18-24, compared to36%forover 55s.
- With the world travellingmorelocallyduringthe pandemic, consumersare showinganoverwhelmingappetiteto show carefor the communities around them.86%of people say it is important to get to know the local community when visiting somewhere new. And more than half of respondents (57%)say theycare more aboutcontributing to theirlocal communities and the planet while travellingthan they did 10 years agoshowing a long-termshiftin their thinking.
Gloria Guevara, CEO President, The World Travel Tourism Council, commented:"TheTravel Tourismsector plays a huge role in enriching livelihoods and economies around the world, and we must ensure its growth contributes positively to the communities, natural ecosystems and cultural heritage upon which it depends. I'm pleased to see the clear, achievable,and actionable 10-year ambitions outlined in IHG Hotels Resorts'Journey to Tomorrow plan, which will help support the sustainable development of our sector."
"IHG is a key contributor to our Sustainability Taskforce, and we are delighted to come together once again on this important initiative, which aligns with our broader sustainability goals. It will play a crucial role in our sector in a post-COVID world, and this initiative will help push forward that agenda.By working together towards these common goals, we can ensure that the communities and destinations that make this world so special will continue to thrive for many generations to come."
OurJourneyto Tomorrow, together
IHG'splansetsoutfiveclear ambitions,buildingonour long-term commitments and achievements, including theprogressmadeagainst our2018-2020 targets.These include:
Our people:Champion a diverse culture where everyone can thrive
- Achieve a gender balance and a doubling of under-represented groups across our leadership
- Cultivate a culture of inclusion for colleagues, owners and suppliers
- Support all colleagues to prioritise their own wellbeing and the wellbeing of others
- Drive respect for and advance human rights
Communities:Improve the lives of 30 million people in our communities around the world
- Drive economic and social change through skills training and innovation
- Support our communities when a natural disaster strikes
- Collaborate to aid those facing food poverty
Carbon energy:Reduce our energy use and carbon emissions in line with climate science
- Implement a 2030 science-based target thatdelivers15% absolute reduction in our direct operations, and a 46% per m2 reduction in franchise operations
- Target 100% new build hotels to operate at very low/zero carbon emissions
- Maximise/ optimise the role of renewable energy
Waste:Pioneer the transformation to a minimal waste hospitality industry
- Eliminate single use items, or move to reusable or recyclable alternatives across the guest stay
- Minimise food going to waste through a prevent, donate, divert plan
- Collaborate to achieve circular solutions for major hotel commodity items
Water:Conserve water and help secure water access in those areas at greatest risk
- Focus on those hotels operating in the areas of highest water risk to:
- Implement tools to reduce the water footprint of our hotels
- Mitigate water risk through stakeholder collaboration to deliver water stewardship at basin level
- Collaborate to ensure adequate water,sanitation and hygiene (WASH) conditions for our operating communities
Find out more
- Join us on the journey:You can visitIHG'sJourney to Tomorrowwebpagesto find out moreabout our plan, ambitions anddetailed commitments, andto follow ourprogress.On social followthe hashtag #IHGJourneytoTomorrow
- Follow our progress:Journey to Tomorrow buildson the progresswe havemade as part of our 2018-2020 responsible business targets. A detailed update on thiswill beshared inour2020Responsible Business Reportto be published inMarch 2021.
About IHG Hotels Resorts
IHG Hotels Resorts is a global organisation with a broad portfolio of hotel brands, includingSix Senses Hotels Resorts Spas,Regent Hotels Resorts,InterContinentalHotels Resorts,KimptonHotels Restaurants,Hotel Indigo,EVEN Hotels,HUALUXEHotels and Resorts,Crowne PlazaHotels Resorts,voco,Holiday InnHotels Resorts,Holiday Inn Express,Holiday Inn Club Vacations,avid hotels,Staybridge Suites,Atwell SuitesandCandlewood Suites.
IHG franchises, leases, manages or owns nearly 5,800 hotels and approximately 865,000 guest rooms in more than 100 countries, with over 1,900 hotels in its development pipeline. IHG also managesIHGRewards Club, our global loyalty programme, which has more than 100 million enrolled members.
InterContinental Hotels Group PLCis the Group's holding company and is incorporated in Great Britain and registered in England and Wales. More than 400,000 people work across IHG's hotels and corporate offices globally.
Visitwww.ihg.comfor hotel information and reservations andwww.ihgrewardsclub.comfor more on IHG Rewards Club. For our latest news, visit:www.ihgplc.com/mediaand follow us on social media at:www.twitter.com/ihgcorporate,www.facebook.com/ihgcorporateandwww.linkedin.com/company/intercontinental-hotels-group.